Shad Run

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CATFISHGARY1, Jan 28, 2009.

1. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    has anyone heard if there starting to run down east or any reports man im ready for them so maybe them big boys will turn on

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My oh my, you got Spring Fever bad. Never before the end of Feb. Depends on water temps. By the second week of March they will be at Weldon, by the end of March it will be on like Donkey Kong!

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Still none on the Cape, should start seeing some in 2-3 weeks.

4. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    i am looking forward to it!

5. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I've never even seen a shad before, but I am looking forward to the run. I've been doing some research on the shad run and the shad themselves along with digging up maps of the spawning ranges... I'm getting excited too. It's said that you can catch 100 fish in one day, is that true? NC allows 10 fish per day...so if I average of one pound of meat per fish, that's 100 pounds of fish sticks in ten days! I love fish sticks!! :smile2:

6. 07_hemi_thunderroad

State:
    north caro
    i had some friends try to find some of them in the new bern area and had no luck is there anyone that is getting into them yet?

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They are starting to show up on the coast here in SC and a few smaller buck shad in the hot spots in the rivers.

8. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    heard a few guys crappie fishing caught a few straglers , and the comm. guys are catching a few

9. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    saw some guys with nets out near the split of the cape fear and black river, didn't see the results though. a lot of seagulls hovering in downtown wilmington, figure either something feeding or large schools of shad or both. depth finder has been down so i could not investigate.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I need to get some shad this year so I've got my favorite chopper bluefish bait in a few months!

11. 07_hemi_thunderroad

State:
    north caro
    i like the way you think! i am also going to try to do the same thing!

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You're gonna use that great cat bait for some dang chopper blues:smile2: Leave it to Conrad to find a random bait like that for a saltwater fish!!

Next thing ya know you're gonna be talking about bullheads being the new hot flounder bait:wink:

13. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    man glad that the shad are running on the neuse they helped out on the tourny this past weakend , hoping to get back down there and catch some more here shortly

14. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I heard this past weekend that they were catching a few here and there over at lock #1 on the cape fear.Haven't seen it with my own eyes but the fella that told me is usally pretty straight up about those things :wink:.

15. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina

lol, no but I do now a fella who caught a nice flounder on a live bluegill! :wink: Besides, if I had anyone to catfish with, I'd probably use more for that. But right now the two best things I catch with them is chopper blues and black tipped sharks! :smile2:

16. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I am heading out to the lock and dam in e-town this weekend to try my hand at some shad then some cats. Wondering if anyone is having any luck.

17. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Let us know how it turns out, I'm waiting to hear something good!

18. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    there getting strong on the neuse going to try again this weakend

19. Mr Madness

Mr Madness New Member

State:
    north carolina
    any shad on the upper cape

20. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    a lot of boats out today, tried for an hour and a half to catch some shad but no luck. 2 different netters out there along with two boats fishing the same area I was. The water was as high as I have seen it on that stretch of river, almost to the top of the ramp. only fish i did see was a guy whose son caught a 10 lb carp while trying to catch catfish. came on a stinkbait. based on my experience today i would say they haven't yet reached Lock and Dam 1. Long drive to find that one out:sad2: