Shad Run in Falls Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Matth2083, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Hey guys..its been a while since I last posted, buts its about that time of year again. My question is in reference to the shad run and the spawning period. I read that shad actually start their spawn around the coast and move inland. And in past experience I have had mixed luck finding them around the tail race area at falls lake off of falls of the nuese rd. I guess my real question is, is there a specific time or month I should focus on for catching my bait fish for the season or should I just practice trial and error here. Also any insight into the shad spawning cycle would be awesome, im sure some of my info is off for I did read it a while ago. Thanks guys.

2. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't be able to help you but I do have some questions for you.
    I'm assuming you're catching the shad for bait, where do you fish them?
    Do you just catch a seasons worth and freeze them?
    Do you do any fishing in any other parts of Falls Lake or in the tailrace area?
    Just curious, Falls is right up the road from me and I just got a boat and trying to get familiar with the lake.
    Thanks!

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    About 10 miles downstream from the tailrace at falls reservoir there's another dam called Milburnie Dam. It prolly blocks most of the fish headed upstream in springtime. If I was looking for some running shad I would try fishing there instead of at the Falls Dam. It's off of Milburnie Road about 1/4 mile or so from US 64 (New Bern Ave.). There is a city park there now but as far as I know you can still fish there. When I was a kid this area below the dam was known as Raleigh Beach.

The shad prolly ain't there yet. This past week they were just moving into the pitchkettle area which is 100 miles or so downstream of Raleigh. You can find a post or two about them in the NC rivers section on this site. Most posts are by Tammeej. These running shad will have to migrate from Pitchkettle, through Kinston, Goldsboro, Smithfield and then to Raleigh. Water conditions will dictate how long it takes them to get there. In years past I've seen them so thick there at "Raleigh Beach" that you could scoop them up in a net. You could probably keep up with them somewhat by posting questions about them in the rivers section here. Good luck!

4. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Hey luke....my plan is usually to catch my bait at falls lake and then take it too the Cape. I fish at falls lake off some bridges off of Raven Ridge Rd. , but my luck at falls has been mixied, Im in the process of getting a boat now but I usually confined to the bank. The blues at falls are fun but Ive to catch many above 7 lbs. Ive also had a hard time catching the shad run at a good enough time to get enough bait for the whole summer, but thats what I try to do.

Thanks Bryan, your post was really helpful. I live around the NC state area, and grew up in Cary, so im still learning about the different parts of falls lake. Good to know, I'll find out how to get to that spot and keep looking at posts on where the shad are. Thanks Again.