Shad Regulations

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    In the Indiana fishing regulations it says the following: "Carp and gizzard shad cannot be used as live bait, except at Brookville Lake where live shad may be used." So what is the species of shad that people net out of the Ohio river and use?

2. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Dern near everyone uses gizzard shad that i know of and arent gold fish a type of carp? i was told by a CO that golds are legal...ive seen that in the book as well and have always wonderd,i know the law is set so these fish arent introduced to new waters.but ive always been kinda un clear on this as well.

3. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Yah ik what you mean about it being unclear. Here's the whole quote though about the gold fish thing

"You may use wild fish as live bait as long as the fish was caught legally and meets any size, catch, or possession limits established for that species. Goldfish may be used as live bait. Carp and gizzard shad cannot be used as live bait, except at Brookville Lake where live shad may be used."

I know that there are a few different type of shad but is the one that everyone nets and use for bait gizzard shad? I still plan on using shads because they are about the best bait i have found