Shad question

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by daredevle, Oct 16, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello brothers i ahve a Q my friend one dayn caught shad and was using some and at the end of the day about 7 small thread fin sahd was left in a bucket and on accenident left overnight in the water and the next mourning was gonna see if there was still good but choses not too wolud they still would have caught some catfish?????:confused2:

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yeah, he probably would have caught some fish on them, but fresh bait would be better.

3. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    It was worth a try. I believe you would still catch some.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    ive cought some pretty nice fish on dead shad. when i used to run trotlines we would put them in 5 gallon buckets... they wouldnt last long, but they still worked fine.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Maybe. I've read posts by folks saying that they caught channel cats on rotted shad, but the older the shad, the poorer results I've had; and very poor results with frozen shad. Small shad rot faster than big shad; threadfin shad rot faster than gizzard shad. So, you might have had trouble keeping it on the hook, unless you made some kind of punch bait with it.

6. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I agree. No doubt you could catch some cats, but get some fresh stuff if you are really serious!
    Linz

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    In my opinion the fresher the shad the better. But I have caught fish on old and frozen shad. If you can't get fresh it don't hurt to have some older stuff on hand that way you can still fish.

8. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris,
    I have used dead shad many times , just cut them in half or 1/3s depending on how big they are. I use live shad on jug lines and rod and reel, when the shad is dead I cut it up and put it back on the hook. Some days its better to cut the lives ones up right from the start, and only use cut bait. Good Luck . Paul

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have used them, have never caught anything on OLD shad. If they have any rotten smell at all they are garbage to me. I actually have pretty decent luck on frozen shad in the winter, never had to use them in summer time cuz shad r too easy.

10. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Old timers around here swore by rotten shad. I've thrown coolers away from that stench. I like fresh best, but, I freeze my shad (still flopping) and have had tremendous luck. Once it thaws, it cannot be refrozen.

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I usally only catch small channels if they starting to rot. If Ihave bunch I will put them in a old coffee can, mash them up, add a handfull of flower or corn meal to make a dip bait. But always the fresher the better.
    but durring the winter I keep a handfull of 8 to 12 inchers frozen ready to use.