Shad Question

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by rookie cat, Jul 7, 2009.

1. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    I am new to all of this and had a question about shad. Can you freeze shad and use it later for bait? I caught some and they were in a bucket of water for about an hour, I took them home put them in a zip lock and put them in the refrigerator. A couple were the size of your hand and the rest were about 3 inches long. I know it's not as good as fresh bait but I dont always have the time for that. Have to get bait when I can. Thanks guys

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    You can freeze them. Try to get them frozen as fresh as you can. We catch them here and put them on ice as soon as we catch them, when we bag them we try to get as much air out of the bag as possible. This year I bought one of the vacuum sealers and it work good as long as you don't have to much moisture in the bag when you try to seal it.

Welcome to the BOC

3. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I do the same I bought a vacuum sealer, this will keep shad good for a year. Now in a ziplock bag your good for a few months.

4. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Put them on ice, but not in ice, try to keep them out of the water, they will not put up as well. I bought a vacuum sealer a couple years ago , its the real deal for savin bait. after several months, skipjack will still bleed red like fresh. I have noticed that little shad does not save as well as your larger shad, the little ones get mushy real fast. Good luck to ya.