Shad pics ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by cook, Oct 25, 2005.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Anyone have a good website that I can see what the different types of shad look like?Thank you in advance

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Found some but can't tell between gizzard and threadfin.I assume threadfin has the long piece coming from the top(dorsal?) fin and the gizzard has the spot behind the gill.Some of the pics I saw looked interchangeable

3. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    The site I was going to give you the link to also had the same pics for gizzard and threadfin.

Here's some ways to tell them apart.

Best and easiest is to look at the tails. Threadfin tails are yellow - nearly chartruse.
    Gizazards nose is rounded or blunt while threadfin in pointed.
    Gizzard is a little thicker than a threadfin
    Gizzards are slimy, threadfin arent.
    Gizzards grow larger - up to a foot long. Threadfin usually half that when fully grown.

Hope this helps.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Guys, follow this link shad pics to a thread and it may help you.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Thanks guys.Got some whoppers for me today.Not used to seeing them this big.Over a pound and up to 14 inches.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Trying to post pic

Attached Files:

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    TTT-finally figured out to post pics-whatcha think

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Geez, Cook, why catch any cats, those shad are big enough to eat :)

9. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    yeah wouldn't need to oil the pan either.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Use the old plank method.Nail to board,season,place by fire for 4 hours,remove fish,throw fish away,eat board. :)

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jon, you're right on the differences, the Threadfin has the "thread" on the dorsal. We have the same size shad here on Milford Lake. They'll be moving into the coves here pretty soon, I usually net and gut enough to put up a couple of pints of guts for spring fishing. I grind up the carcasses and freeze them in newspaper wrappers and use them for chum. I put some garlic oil and blood in while grinding them up.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A good place to check out various types of fish is a site called Fishbase.

13. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Hey Jim, how do you go about keeping those shad guts for spring or summer. Do you just jar 'em up or do you have to add anything? I was also wondering if they still work as well later and if they "rot" in the jar or container or if you have to "can" them like tomatoes, lol. I have heard those Blues tend to go for the fresh bait better. I am pretty new to Blue fishing so I am trying to get myself up to date on everything here. Being boatless too, I am going to have to find a spot to use my castnet from shore for the shad I guess. Anyway, mostly just wondering on how you keep your shad guts for later, thanks man.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeremy, I just put them in the plastic butter dishes I save. I don't put more than six or seven "guts" in each one, that way when you use them you only need to thaw out what you might use that day. I just freeze them, when I use'm I'll take two or three containers in my bait cooler, which will keep them pretty well frozen all day if I don't remove them. When I was buying them(not anymore at $8 bucks a pint) I'd just keep them in the fridge, once they were thawed for awhile, they'd get pretty nasty and I wouldn't have any luck with them.
    The shad finally came into CCreek cove the last couple of day's, me and Jerald(Catfish Quiver) snagged and netted 5 and a half 5 gallon buckets full. We got12 pints of guts from them. We thought they might be spawing, but when we gutted them, the egg sacs were there, just not completely developed.
    They came in on the 25th, but were to far out to net, so we used 8/0 trebles to snag them, then on the 27th they came in closer and we were able to net with cast nets from the shore. We put up a couple of containers with pieces in lake water. I'll just refrigerate them for "pickeled shad", they get to be pretty nasty, but work well in the spring, usually. Don't know about this year though as we didn't really have a shad kill this year. Here's a pic of us gutting them.
    Sorry about the fuzzy picture, forgot I had it set on Macro mode.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

15. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Shad are beautiful little creatures.

Attached Files:

16. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    hey cook i heard that how poeple eat carp aswell.....lol

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah steve over in Japan they consider Carp to be a delicousy and i do here it is good if you know how to clean them and get around the mudvein