Shad or skipjacks

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by james_s333, Jan 23, 2007.

1. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    does any one happen to know of someplace or someone that will sale frozen shad or skipjacks i've tried nettin some it just aint workin i guess i need to just stick to paying for them

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I would just call around to local bait shops and see what you can find..What bodies of water do you live near? Are you using a seign net or a cast net??

3. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    im on the muskingum river....and the water is way up..

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Not 30 minutes from your house is the best Shad fishery I have ever seen. Go into Zanesville and get on 146 N to Dillon dam. With the water up the spillway is cranked, so I am betting that if you go to the first cove by the gravel road from the spillway (look for the birds too). In that cove you could probably catch them bare handed. Seriously, 1 throw may net you enough for the rest of the winter. It is WELL worth the trip. Cell service stinks but you can call from there if you can't find any (740) 502-1017. Do not be silly enough to try to throw at the spillway or you may discover first hand the power of water. Don't ask me how I know that.
    Salt Fork Outdoors has frozen for sale as well. Take 77 north to SR541 Make a right go to the first intersection. If you make a left, the first bait store is it. If you make a left and don't mind walking, go to the Salt Fork spillway although I haven't a clue what that waterway is like (I Don't like to walk). That is where the frozen shad at the baitstore is caught.

Good Luck, and I expect you'll meet a small cadre of guys this summer cause your area is going to be REAL popular this year.

5. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    thanks im headed to salt fork today to try but thats im headed up to dillon this weekend.....if your around head out lets try and get a few fish

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Uhh...... Shawn don't fish in this weather!!! :embarassed:

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    James I may be out to dillon this weekend depending on how I feel. My flathead needs some baby carp to eat. If I do go out I should be able to find you some shad. I'll let you know this weekend.