Shad??? or not a shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by splitshot, Jul 27, 2006.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Went fishing for channels last night, While waiting for the bite i decided to catch a few bait fish. ( i primarly use chicken liver, and cut herring) I caught what looks like a shad. The thing is i dont think there is shad in the Champlain canal. I caught two of them one was four inches, and the other was seven inches. Well whatever it was the channels went nuts over it. Ive never fished with shad up here, only because i didnt think there were any, other than in a bottle at wal- mart. How big do shad get? I cant find any reference to them at the N.Y. state D.E.C. web site. Any ideas guys??:confused2: :0a36:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

did it look like this?

[​IMG]

3. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    Ive seen some shad here in Erie over 14"
    they die off after the ice breaks in the spring
    by the thousands.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

5. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    Doesnt Erie drain into the Champlain channel?

6. milla62

milla62 New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,OK
    I grew up in N.W.Kansas, St.Francis 11 from Neb and 12 from Colorado. I lived at the republican river all summers as a kid caghing carp and shad some were 12-18 inches and maybe 1/2 to 2 lbs!! Pretty big for a little guy. I have heard they can reach 3-5lbs,beleive or not!!

Todd

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
  8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    thats a good question Steve Ill find out. Im not a native New Yorker, so im not sure.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

was it closer to this?

[​IMG]
    are this
    [​IMG]
    the first is a herring and the next another type of shad.

10. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Shad..LoL yep i've seen em from 1/2 to 2 lbs i use to catch them on a night crawler and a blue gill hook lol when i was fishing for blue gill :D

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
  12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    this has been a good thread intertaning good helpful pictures too rep to you laidbck111 for goin to the trouble to help out a fellow brother

13. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Let me tell you brother! Here in southeastern michigan the shad are really thick at the dam ive been fishing. Ive had better luck with shad than any other bait so far. They do look like the first picture but i think they can be light or dark depending on the water their in. Ive never seen on more than 4 niches though, but that might be because ive never paid much attention to shad untill lately. GOOD LUCK!

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    splitshot I fish lake champlain the first week of bass season every year and I castnet for alewife herring the place is loaded withem and they make a great bait for catfish up there if ya cant net them a lot of bait shops sell them live

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never seen one over about 6 inches so I almost fell out of my chair when I read 2-6 pounds now thats a big shad.

16. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    4 to 6 pound shad sounds like the American shad or it could be hickory shad we get a spring run of big shad in the delaware river every year and guys flock to the river to catchem they even have a shad festival up here every year they get upwards of 8lbs and put up a hell of a fight they call them the poor mans salmon. We use flutter jigs and shad darts forem in my neck of the woods. Fun fish to catch they jump like a tarpon and run like a salmon and channel catfish just lovem as cutbait

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good morning Terry. I primarily use herring, and chicken livers,in the champlain canal. The night i caught the shad and tried them as cut bait the channels tore them up, wouldnt even touch the other baits. I wasnt sure at the time that it was shad, but now ive got a positive I.D. thanks to my brothers. (great bunch of guys). It was like finding a pot of gold. Its always great to have another go to bait. Now ive got to get me a cast net.

18. P Caruthers

P Caruthers New Member

State:
    AL
    I'm not sure about your neck of the woods but i've seen them up to 2 lbs in Guntersville Al.

19. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    6lb shad omg That would be cut bait for the hole night and then some.WOW

20. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Steve, Check out the library for information on throw nets and how to throw them. When you get one get out in the back yard and practice throwing it. You will be fixed up for bait now.

ST