Shad on the Neuse river

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAYNC, Feb 21, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Was on the neuse at Ft Barnwell on friday afternoon and the shad were running. There was a man at the ramp, he had about 5-6 on a stringer and there was about 10 boats fishing the area where contenea creek meets the neuse. I have my darts on order, time to get some bait in the freezer. Thought everyone should know. I'm not sure how hard they are running but they are definitely running. Just watch out though the water height is only a little over 4 feet right now, according to the website.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the report. They should be coming up the Meherrin river here then now....or they will soon.

Tight lines.:)

3. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    we dont see em up here til march. i'm waitin':)

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I'm going to try and catch some this weekend if anyone wants to go.

5. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    jay are you going for cats or shad?

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I went for both this morning, caught a 5lb channel and a bunch of shad. They are running pretty thick. Can almost catch one on every 2-3 casts.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's for the update, you catching the shad just on darts and spoons? Sure hope I get to get out there and catch some, I love catching them and they are just awesome bait.

Zakk:)

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I actually dont have any shad darts yet, I caught them on 1" pink jig heads with a green curly tail. They were also catching them with pink and white. Had them in a rig where there were two jigs in tandem about 1' apart. Hope you catch some, I am going tomorrow to catch some more. They are running thick. I am going to neuse sport shop today to get some jigs that wont bent straight out on a shad, the ones from walmart will, lost about 4 shad due to the hooks bending, and I wasnt even trying to horse them in, they are strong little fish. good luck

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm going down here at the Meherrin River, very similiar to the Neuse. Should be hitting great. Look for the report when I get back this afternoon. I will take some pictures too.;)

Good luck! Zakk:)

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
  11. DensSang

DensSang New Member

State:
    Illinois
    does anyone have any advice for fishing a hot ditch

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Going out again today in a few minutes. Anyone else going out today?

13. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I was planning on going out today but I woke up too late. Hopefully they will still be running thick this upcoming weekend. Just so everyone knows, neuse sport shop in kinston has a whole shelf ful of shad lures and darts and spoons. I went up there last night and filled up a whole bad full of stuff.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I just got back from the Meherrin River, only got 1 shad out of about 100 cast. BUT the water was very low, so it must have been low tide. I didnt see any jumping this time eithier. It's cool though, I am going back in a few minutes, then later I am going to Gaston lake to fish for the big blues.:cool:

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    where is the meherrin river

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Northeast North Carolina. I am fishing the section of it that runs around Murfreesboro. It is very similiar to the Neuse River, but it does not have flatheads in it.:)

17. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    should have told me that you needed shad darts. i make them and could have hookd you up. i have about 15000 of them right now. shad are down at lock one on cape fear but not thick but should be in 2 weeks.

18. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well I still could use some, pm me and let me know how much they are and what they look like and I will send you some money.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    If you dont mind can you do the same for me, I need some shad darts also.:)

20. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i can email jason and let me know the colors you want and sizes. i have them in 1/8 adn 1/4 oz right now and almost any color you can think of. they are 5 for a dozen. let me know something. thankx