Shad on the missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fishhead, Jul 3, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    Where do you guys usually find shad on the missouri?I have tried three times year to catch shad,caught four up fishing river 1 time.I have tried behind wing dykes above wing dikes on flats between dykes,i cant find any.i hate to go to the lakes to catch bait before going to river.any help would be appreciated,thanks.:angry:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I to had that problem...not any more however... I catch my shad in the little creeks and at the mouths of these creeks. I have found shad in the shallows between the wing dykes. Most of the time I look for them flippin' on the surface and use the trolling motor to get over to them. After a rain the creeks are absolutely full of 'em. You can usually catch any where from 50 to a 100 in one cast!!! no kiddin'!! Just be patient and continue trowing the net. Try the shallow areas of the river and watch for activity at the surface of the water. Trust me, they're in there :smile2:

3. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    watch the birds, theyre better at it than us

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Like Bill said, concentrate on the feeder creeks. Use your trolling motor and throw your net into the shallows on both sides of the creek. For whatever reason, you will find on any given day they will prefer one side of the creek over the other. I've been netting them in as little as 6 inches of water up the creeks. If the water levels are too low, your only option is behind the dykes. Concentrate your efforts on the mud banks that are fairly steep. Again, cast your net into the shallows. If you cant find the shad shallow, move off of the bank a little and throw your net between 8 and 10 feet and make sure your net gets to the bottom. I just fished an Alton tournament two weeks ago, and I found the Threadfins were abundant below the wing dykes, immediately adjacent to the vertical dykes that run parallel with the main river channel on the slack water side. The more you fish, the easier it is to keep up with what the shad are doing. If I'm having trouble finding them, I turn to the BOC for help. ON any given day, one of the members here has been fishing and know what the shad are doing. Just posing the question will give you a general idea of where they are located. Good Luck.

5. fishhead

fishhead New Member

State:
    KC Missouri
    Thanks for the tips guys.My last 3 trips to the river was strictly to find shad.I tried every wing dyke front and back,shallow flats and mouth of little blue in a 6 mile stretch with no luck.From cooley ramp to sibley.Then went on down to fishing river and went up fishing river about 100 yds and caught a few.again thanks for the tips,this is a very helpful place.going to try it again tomorrow.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good Luck Steve. ONce you find the shad, pay close attention to the area you caught them in, and then target similiar areas in other locations and you should find them. If the shad are a little scarce in your area, I say all the better as the Cats ought to pound them. Best of Luck to you. :cool2:

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Another thing to consider is fishing the same area you do catch your shad at.
    I don't know why, but I never fish where I catch my bait, but thats where the cats go to feed!

8. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I catch my shad all of time in the mouths of the creeks, sometimes you have to get way up in there but they are there! Good Luck!

9. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Steve,I have had good luck Behind the wing dykes down river of sibley with just a five foot throw net, but is easy to hung up on the rocks.up fishing river the small walleyes get in the mix as well. good luck

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    So Cattamer, you're catching bait and dinner?

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Shad are fairly abundant right now guys. Concentrate on the steeper mud banks below the wing dykes. If its the middle of the day, move off the mud banks to between 4 and 15 feet of water and cast your net making sure it gets to the bottom. You wont see them flipping much, you'll just have to trust that they are there and let that net get down to them. If its early morning, or late evening, they are tending to move a little shallower, and you will see them flipping on the surface. also try the back current areas below the wing dykes where the river current makes an 180 degree turn back towards the dyke. Throw your net on the slack side of the current seam. If you watch the current you will see the area I am talking about. As well, the shad have all spawned out and you should get a good mix of big ones, and little ones. Good LUCK.

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    thanks john going to lexington saturday to spend the day and night ,should be a good time for flathead this is the time of year that i catch big flathead off the bars.