Shad on the Missouri River this time of year

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Where do you guys get your bait for those of you who are fishing the Missouri River this time of year. I'm between Bonnotts Mill and Herman, MO on the river.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Shad are hard to find on the Missouri River even in the spring and summer... :eek:oooh: You might do better to look for them elsewhere - maybe a nearby lake has them?

I think most of the guys in this part of the state have started using skipjack as their primary bait - partly, I'm sure, because it's so hard to find shad on the river, but also because they freeze well and seem to catch blues consistently.

With all that said, I'd look for them in deep holes behind wing dams and - especially on a sunny day - in shallower water near the wing dams. If you can find any feeder creeks that are reasonably deep, you might check there as well.

3. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Seth i have found them on occasion in front of the boat ramp at bonnetts mill and out in front of the tip of the dyke between the missouri and osage river. Hope this helps.

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Marty good point! I've give'n up on finding shad in the missouri river. I did notice some bait fish in cedar creek yesterday. Just like marty said this is a feeder creek to the missouri just south of columbia. The shad were at the mouth of the missouri and perche creek. Good luck to ya!

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Thanks for the input. I guess I need to bring along some backup perch or something. Man I wish I would have kept those couple skipjacks we caught late last year at MariOsa. They would sure be nice to have right now. :embarassed:

6. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    If you can't find shad use bighead carp they work real well.

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I always take a small cooler of frozen bait with me in case I come up dry on fresh bait. If I get fresh, I take the frozen back home. I collect the frozen a few at a time throughout the year.

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've got some frozen gizzard shad that we got from Bagnell last summer, but sounds like they are about useless to use from the way most guys talk about frozen shad. It will be better than nothing I guess. I'm going to try and get some asian carp and give them a try. Surely I can at least get some of those stupid things with the throw net.

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Seth if you know where to catch them we should get together with a couple of other missouri boys and have some bait for all of us! I think you posted some pics last summer of the skippy you caught and it was BIG!!

10. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I have always had the best luck locating shad in creeks coming into the river early in the year!!!!!

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    you can aslo get skips off the fast water below the old osage lock and dam with minners, jigs, catmasters and small cranks. 4 to 6 inch Creek minnows work good to this time of year a cast net works good.

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well we just happened to catch a couple while fishing at the mouth of the Maries River for hybrids. We caught them right after rifle season last winter. My buddy who fishes there a lot said he usually always catches a couple when fishing cranks for the bass, but always just threw them back. I told him to keep every one for me from now on.

I'll have to make a trip up there and see if I can catch some in that fast water below the lock. All we've caught in that spot was hybrids. I pulled two 7 pounders out of the last time we were after hybrids in December. Talk about a fight in that current!

13. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    PM me if you plan on going. I am not that far away and we can try and catch some skippys then maybe do some catfishing! I am off on wednesdays and sundays if this helps...Good luck!

14. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    bagnell dam,when it warms up for a while there everywhere. just take a dipnet or casting net and go right beside the dam. you'll have plenty of bait.

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I don't have any trouble getting bait up there. Like you said, just dip them up. I'm more worried about them farther down river on the Osage closer to the MO.

My buddy went to the MariOsa the other day and said that there were huge shad all over the mouth of the Maries. He's there today and there no where to be found. Go figure.

16. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i found a spot yesterday evening on the missouri by the dalton boat ramp that was full of shad. threw twice and prolly had 150-200 shad. i could barely pull the net up i actually thought i had an asian or gar or a tree when i first tugged on the net. it was right behind a wing dam in a deep hole. have never seen anything like it. we actually went and anchored about 50 yards from there and fished for about 3 hours. caught a nice mess of 2-8 lb channel cats. not a bad day especially with as nice as the weather was.