Shad on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Ballwin Bernie, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Ballwin Bernie

Ballwin Bernie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can you cast for shad in the mississippi river during cold weather? If so where do you concentrate throwing for them? Any info would be helpful

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    in the winter i go to a hot water discharge of the power plant ( the one by the truman park boat ramp ) and can catch a few but i don't have a lot of luck catching them in the winter

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bernie. Good luck on the bait.

4. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Ernie.

5. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    welcome to the BOC. Good luck catching the bait and even more luck catching some fish with it.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all Welcome to the BOC. Now as far catching shad I was told that they seem to move into deeper water during winter. I know I get a few in my net up at Saverton Dam off of the bank,but don't know about dead of winter..Haven't never tried it then. Best of luck .I'm sure some one on here from this area can steer you in the right direction.
    AGAIN WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    You might want to try at boat lauches, the cement underwater probably stays warmer than the mud and the shad may congregate along those bottoms. (just and idea)

8. Ballwin Bernie

Ballwin Bernie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey bluejay thanks for the welcome, still learning the ropes on this web site. How about those Cardinals

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Glad to have you on board bernie. Throw your net in the deeper water during winter time. If its an unseasonably warm day you can usually find some threadfins on the windblown banks next to the grass and vegetation.