Shad on sonar?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by mofisher, Jun 20, 2007.

1. mofisher

mofisher Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been using a cast net to catch shad for years, but only when they're on the surface. A lot of people claim to find them with their fish finders and cast out over them that way? What does a school of shad look like on a fish finder? What depth do them generally suspend at? BOC has been amazing, I appreciate all the help. Thanks

2. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    when i go get shad in the lake or in deep water i see a dark spot on the radar and the kill the engine and slowly creep up then i throw the cast net and pull in some shad. What part of Missouri do you live in?

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    school of shad can look like a ball with rough edges, or a big arch with solid top but rough irregular edges and bottom. Usually it is just a ball or mass that sits inbetween the top and bottom. If you cant identify it, and it has a shape it usually is a school of shad

4. txcats

txcats New Member

State:
    Texas
    This time of year the shad look like large suspended masses on the depth finder. In the lake I am fishing in they are found at different depths depending on the time of day.

Last week in one cast of the net we caught 125 shad averaging 3-4 inches. That was with a 7 foot net. Wish I could do that all the time.

Good luck in catching the little buggers.

5. txcats

txcats New Member

State:
    Texas
  6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Pete is that a humminbird 383c gps depth combo? looks just like mine.

7. mwallace61

mwallace61 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Alabama
    Pete,

If you were cast netting that school, where would cast. In other words, assuming that your transducer is on the back of your boat, where are those fish in relation to the bow of your boat? I have some understanding of the "cone" from the fish finder, but not a good enough understanding. :)

Mike

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Its the 987c-Si

They would have been right under the boat at the back. As that is where the transducer is. And also the GPS As I had them marked with a waypoint and then went back over them.

PEte

9. mofisher

mofisher Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm from around Washington area, but I work up in St. Charles so I get to fish both areas. As for the shad I think I may need to invest in a better fishfinder. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Yeah well are they left or right side of boat:big_smile: ......Oh yeah, you just look at the side image scan and figure that one out:cool2:. Well if ya had that quad xducer it would mark left or right side in sonar mode.

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    thats some great info gang, I have a question. what is a good depth finder to have and where can i get it for a reasonable price:embarassed:

12. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm with you Willie, I can't see paying more for a fish finder than I did for my boat!

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just look for a cloud in the water unless the whole unit goes dark from a huge area of bait fish but have only seen that in the winter when they really bunch up.

14. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    woah over 100 shad, when you say 7ft cast net do you mean radius or diameter

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    photo compliments of greggofish....

this is one of the advantages of a high end fish finder...although i think this many shad would show up on any fish finder....

and yes trust me those are all threadfins....when you hit that school with your cast net ...you have 100's of shad in one throw...it does take sometime to find them though....but once you do they will sometimes black out the screen of the sonar unit...

and it takes 2 people to get the net in the boat....

enjoy...

http://www.greggofish.com/P4270001.JPG

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Holy cow, that is a lot of shad!