Shad on jigs

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by MadKater, Nov 6, 2005.

1. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Yesterday jagal and myself went to catch some skip jack and i was catching shad on tandom jigs......ive always herd that shad wont bite lures but these where hooked inside the mouth and everything,i have snagged shad before but these shad clearly hit the jigs......kinda shocked me lol

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had the same thing happen, seems like it is when the shad are plentifull.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have snagged shad while skip jack fishing. I have never seen them bite the jigs. :confused:

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Shad normally feed on plankton. What type of shad were they?

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    American/hicory shad...or common gizzard,threadfin?

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Gizzard shad will not hit a lure/hook.
    The American and threadfin shad will. Some comman ones are a shad jig or a shad dart.Also a sabiki rig .

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I was white/hybrid bass fishing below dam 22 on the Mississippi river yesterday. The water temp was about 50*, but I snagged an occasional shad about 6 - 7" long in the shallow water eddy. I don't know how much longer they'll be up on top like that. I was using a couple of 1/8 th oz jigs, so they must have been thick in the shallow. Wish I could get them when I wanted them like that! Hannibal Mike

8. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    There's a place in southeast Texas about a mile upstream from where the Trinity River flows into the Gulf of Mexico where there are shad up to 3 lbs caught not only in nets but on jigs & live minnows intended for crappie. I am not making this up. This place is called Anachuac. Lake Anachuac sits right next to the river and the lake level is controlled by a series of gates that release water directly into the river via a couple of circular retention ponds. This is actually a pretty good fishing hole with some huge catfish and crappie that average 2lbs or more. You won't go there & catch 25 crappie per trip but the ones you catch will be giants.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    All we have here (To my knowledge) are Gizzard shad. I have never caught one by it taking a bait. I have snagged plenty of them tho.