Shad on GMR

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by bigman44, Jul 31, 2008.

1. bigman44

bigman44 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i fish around the hamilton area and i went to the high street dam to catch shad with a throw net and we got like 2 fish.. it was not worth it. I was wondering if there are other places on the river to get fish and not snags. i want to cut them up and get some bigguns

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    use bluegill or sunfish for the main bait fish. better forage fish and honestly better results they are easier to get rick

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    you might also try creek chub or cut carp and yellow bellies

4. bigman44

bigman44 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah, i use cut carp alot.. i think the GMR is getting better day by day.. i just got back from it and got a twenty and a small channel. and it was on the 3 little shads i did have lol. but yeah, the carp is alot easier to get.

5. odog127

odog127 New Member

State:
    ohio
    best spot to get bait fish for me is below the new damn. I have always gotten pleanty of bait fish there right by the swell. Of course some days I am lazy and head over to Hamitlon Bait and Tackle. they always have chubs and pleanty of catfish bait and accessories that I need.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    THe shad have usually been slim pickens on the GMR around the dams in my experience, your best bet is to head to the Ohio and look in Marinas and around boat ramps. Also if you dont mind the drive, (I dont know where you are located), the little miami is alot better for high numbers of shad. Almost every time I go I can fill a net in 1 throw.

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For Shad I do good at Acton Lake up in Houston Woods.