shad oil

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by RT1, Feb 25, 2006.

1. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
  2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I can't help you with that one but I would like to take the opportunity to welcome you to BOC, the best outdoors forum on the net!:)

3. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey thanks alot glad to be aboard

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I had a friend that used to make his own trapping lures by harvesting fish oil off carp. I never, and I repeat never, helped him as I get myself in enough trouble without getting involved in something that I know from the beginning isn't going to be good for me. He told me that he did it like this...
    Catch several fish of choice (shad) and gut them as you don't want this to turn rancid on you too fast. You then cut the fish up into the littlest pieces you can and put it in a LARGE MOUTH gallon glass jar with a screw lid with two holes punched in the top of the lid with a piece of fiberglass screen cloth glued over the lid so it can ventilate but flies can't get in. After filling he would bury the jar in the ground in the sun with the top covered by a piece of cloth and a very thin covering of dirt. The cloth was for two reasons, first to keep dirt out of the oil and second to keep the flies from getting to the screen, laying eggs and plugging the holes up, the dirt did the same thing it acts as a buffer between the screens and the flies. Every couple days depending on the temperature he would dig it up and with an eye dropper suck off the oil that had risen to the top. That's the reason for the large mouth jar, he had to put his hand down inside it to get at the oil. He tried pouring off the oils but didn't like the other stuff that found its way into the finished oil jar. I would think in this case that wouldn't be too much of a problem if your using it for fishing bait flavoring. He didn't need much for trapping but he said that if he filled the jar fairly full with fish he always got more than he needed in a short time. He said that when the fish started turning really nasty the oil would still be good but it was easier to just start over but I know he would draw off a jar for 10 - 15 days before discarding it and starting over. Heat seemed to be the biggest enemy of jar but it had to be buried in the sunlight to warm the earth around it to work the oils free.
    Good luck, and by the way all work should only be done outside and when other family members are gone for the day, dahhh! And, you will notice by the way this is written with all the..... he used to do, he this, he that, he said, etc., that this couldn't of been done by me, obviously it was done by someone else..... right?

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    RT1, please excuse my manners, welcome to the BOC, your in for a treat as these guys are willing to help and they know their stuff. Got a question, just ask and you will be amazed at the response you will get, enjoy.

6. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey Beeheck,
    woww , thanks for that info, and for welcoming me to BOC,i appreciate it a bunch..