shad oil

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by jarhead, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jarhead

jarhead New Member

State:
    ohio
    i thought i had read something on how to extract the oil from shad does anyone have any info on this

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think you might be able to find something on that in the Library. I remember there was a thread on here about that subject,but that has been quite awhile ago. Hope this helps,and welcome to the BOC/SOC.

3. ia flathead

ia flathead New Member

State:
    iowa
    i got all the info you need on how to make fish oil ill post it tomm. its really easy

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Dont know if it'll work as far as fish bait, But I used to make fish oil from carp,shiners ,and fish parts for trapping lure. Just fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of fresh fish,put a screen on top to keep flies out. Let render for a week or so and skim the oil off.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never tried it for shad, but here's how I extract oil from skipjack. Fillet the skipjack, saving the guts for bait. You can use the backbone for chum if you like. An old cooler works great, but you can even use gallon jugs if you want. Buy a 50# bag of salt at your local feed store; should cost around $5.00. Lay down a layer of salt in the bottom of the cooler, followed by a layer of fillets, followed by a layer of salt, fillets, salt...etc. Finish off with a layer of salt on top. Cover and let set for at least a couple of weeks. If you used an old cooler with a drain plug, you can simply open the plug and let the oil drain off. Otherwise, you'll have to either pour off the oil or remove the fillets. You can use the fillets for bait, too, because they'll be cured by the salt, and be tougher than fresh.