Shad oil and shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Rookie12, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I got to go catch some shad tomorrow for a trip this weekend and was wonderinga bout something. If I take the shad and put them in a plastic bag with some shad oil, actually it's menhaden oil. Never tried it but I think it will work to help draw in fish. Has anyone tried it and does it work or am I just wasting my time?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard of putting in cooking oil when freezing shad to help keep them from turning mushy. It's gotta add some scent, so give it a try. Remember, a REAL catfisherman will try ANYTHING for bait at least once!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Menhaden oil is a good attractant. It works for catfish and it has been use by fur trappers to bait traps. I don't see where you could go wrong. I've mixed it in some old stinkbait before and it came alive.:big_smile:

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Were do you get the menhaden oil?

5. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You can get it at Catfish Connection

6. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    What about some vanilla extract or some canola oil loaded with garlic. I kinda think that adding a different scent is defeating the purpose. I would want my shad to smell like shad. Would vaccuum sealing them help? I have 50 4 to 7 in shad in my freezer left over from this morning. Just put them 7-8 to a freezer bag. Any idea how long they'll keep without freezerburning? Would it be better to cut them up first?

More questions than anwsers. Just need some opinions from my brothers

Fish hard, Dru

7. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Another quirky thought. What about spraying them with a store bought fish attractant like shad or catfish from Wallie world? If all else fails, try some Pam!:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Dru

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I would think the best thing to do is to use one scent at a time to determine which would be best....I use alot of crawfish oil...Just about every fish has experienced the taste of crawfish....DemoMan

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, vaccuum sealing them works really well.

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I wouldn't put more than about a dozen or so in a bag to keep or freeze, if you load down a bag with 'em, they will get mushy becasue all that slime sets on 'em and softens 'em up. I learned that this weekend. ruined 3 dozen threadfins. And I figure that cats around here ain't never sniffed a menhaden, so they might like it. them cats as Santee like 'em when they come up through the locks. I know that for a fact!