Shad net - you pull behind the boat for catching shad? Is it legal to use for shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Skimmer, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Skimmer

Skimmer New Member

State:
    Va.
    Name:
    put real name
    I saw a net in a catalog that you pull behind the boat for catching shad. Has anyone tried one of these and are they legal to use at Buggs Island.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You have to read the laws for the state you intend to use it in. Oklahoma allows a 3' diameter net, four feet long. I understand the drawback to the net is you can't pull it in when the boats in motion due to water pressure, and when you slow down, most of the shad escape.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got one. Only tried it 2 or 3 times. I have yet to catch the first fish in it. The drag it creates has to be seen to be believed, so it should make a great sea anchor for anything up to a 40' pontoon or even a houseboat.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Doesn't look like good reviews.

Best bet is finding the shad and throwing a cast net, or if your state allows it in the body of water you fish, setting a gill net. Sounds like the shad trawl you're mentioning is just trolling blindly.

I see you fish the James and Buggs, if you fish the tidal James - then you're allowed to use a gill net with permit. The gill net makes it so easy. And alot of people do really well with cast nets at the James and Buggs.

5. Skimmer

Skimmer New Member

State:
    Va.
    Name:
    put real name
    Thanks for the info, I usually use a cast net at Buggs not much luck lately finding shad. Never tried the tidal James mainly fish the middle section.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've never heard of it but from some of the reply's it should make a good drift sock lol.