Shad Locations- Where to collect fresh water shad?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Gary S., Dec 31, 2005.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm gonna get to go fishin tomorrow...finally. Anyway, my question is for all you guys that get shad (seemingly) whenever ya want em. I don't have much trouble in the summer, but in the winter, I haven't done so well. The water temp on the surface is 51 degrees right now. Will shad be near docks (accessable form the bank), and just deeper? The lake is Mark Twain in MO.

I want to get some fresh shad to use behind the dam. I can't just collect them @ the dam because legally I can't get anywhere near a concrete wall. It is all fenced w/personel manning the dam operations. I'm just hoping some of you will have points that you look for in a good wintertime shad spot, that you might not mind sharing.
    Thanks.

2. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Inquiring minds would like to know, also in the evansville ohio river area.

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Down here in clk. tn the best place is the steam plant especialy right now the shad are to thick if that possible. If by chance you have agenerating plant anywhere near you the discharge side should hot and the shad will be their. Now as in catching them from a boat I do not know alot about, I would look for structure, rip rap and what not. The dam you speak of can you get down stream from it, I have had some luck downstream from dams with a cast net.

4. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    This winter i havnt seen to many shad,but we see a lot of dead ones floatin around