Shad (local rivers)

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bigblaze, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    :0a36:

When the shad run do the gizzards come before the american or hickory???
    or vicee-versa.

Will gizzards hit the same spoons and darts as american or hickory???

Do the cats prefer one type of shad over another????

2. marineheel

marineheel New Member

State:
    Elon, NC
    Kerr Lake cats like Gizzard shad -- I believe Gizzard is like a hickory shad...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Never caught gizzard on hook and line always in the cast net.

3. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    gizzard shad seem to run about the same time as hickories....whites(american) run a hair later..........i have caught gizzards fishing for hickories....sometimes they follow the jig or shad dart and keep bumping it with there nose......most of the time if you do catch one he is foul hooked in the nose....though i have caugh a few in the mouth .......

4. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    forgot to answer 1 question......they may like 1 shad over the other...but it probaly doesnt make to much difference......also to marineheel, i see you live in elon, i grew up on the haw in burlington...my family still has 2 tractss of land on the haw, i also graduated from elon college in 1988.....good fishing...mack

5. marineheel

marineheel New Member

State:
    Elon, NC
    yeah, I'm from Burlington and currently live in Elon (same place to some)-- grew up bank fishing on the Haw. I've seen your reference to folks placing big cats in the river. I know for a fact that there have been a few 30 lb flatheads put into the Haw.

6. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    hopefully the haw will "take off " in 5 to 10 years.........i know of at least 3 groups of people that supposedly have put flatties into the haw.....if i have run into 3 different groups then there are probly twice that many or more.......i do know 1 thing...when the state stocked norman lake with blue cats they went unnoticed for 20 years.......so it takes a while .....pm me some time and maybe we can go fish the dan sometime.....also my mom still lives on the haw...i am thinking of bank fishing it one night behind her house just to see what happens...mack