Shad kills

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by healthydrink, Jan 20, 2009.

1. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Shad kills has a lot of information on the internet but not specific enough for me to understand what happens. I was fishing on Oologah Lake and we just went through a severe cold snap that dropped the lake temps from just above 40 degrees to around 34 degrees. We fished for 4-5 hours and never got a bite. I know I was on fish. This was two days after the temps dropped to 8 degrees. Is there a little bit of a shad kill that happens in this scenario and do the predator fish gorge themselves on the shad and cause a day like this? :eek:oooh:

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Brad we been trying to see for 3weeks solid if there has been a shad kill on Kerr Lake......:confused2: can't nobody get around the lake enough to see due to the wind causing 5ft waves or better:wink::eek:oooh::tounge_out: I think there has been one our temps went waydown too....course our wind changes directions like most folks change the TV channels:005: so we cant get a confirmation by finding them "blown" up in the shallows or in a cove or againist the bank....but some of the blues we are getting are stuffed to the brim!!!! and there not fast enough to get that many so i say yes were having some shad kill..... cant tell how big though......our temp was 38 saturday morning on the water ...it happens pretty much every year here unless we get a warm winter......and we ain't!!:tounge_out::wink:

3. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    What I found on the internet seems to say the magic # for shad kills is around 36-38 degrees if it drops suddenly. Which I think it did that, but like you I did not see any shad on the banks but that just might be because some of them sank or got ate already.