Shad Kills in Tennessee?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Jan 15, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

Has anyone noticed shad kills since this cold streak? Yesterday at both Ft. Loudoun Dam and Melton Hill Dam I saw several small shad about 2" to 3" dying. Not in masses, but a couple two or three would float down every 5-10 minutes. BTW, fishing wasn't too good yesterday. I tried large tuffie minnows, shad minnows, and nightcrawlers and could only catch one measly channel cat about 9" and a 16" drum. Also got two puny bluegills on nightcrawlers.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    There is generally a kill each year when the water get super cold and froze over in spots. The cats are fillin up on all the dead baitfish. You can bet on that. LOL!

3. otalldon

otalldon New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Hey festus, I didn't do any good either, probably due to the low pressure front on top of us. Plus no wind doesn't help either. Here is a link I look at tells the weather conditions for Center Hill. Use it for anywhere you are going.
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/fishing/17478:21

4. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Im going today and give it a try. went to the lake to see if the water was moving and there was very little to no current at all and there was no wind at all either. anyway will let you know how I do...did not notice any shad floating

5. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    I've been hearing reports of large shad kills in JPP and Old Hickory.

6. festus

festus New Member

Thanks for the weather link, Don. I bookmarked it. Today I didn't see as many dead shad. This is partially because I went to 3 different spots than yesterday. The reason I didn't see them in one area is because the Emory River is frozen completely across. I don't remember ever seeing that.

7. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I have heard the same story about priest.