shad kill

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by medford, Feb 15, 2009.

1. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    has anyone noticed any dead shad laying aroud the banks down at truman or any where? thought if i can find them i freeze them:cool2:

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The last couple times I was down there below the dam I saw lots of dead shad near or on the banks, also floating in the backs of the coves. I'd not waste your time freezing them as they get mushy and dont work very well after being frozen but it may be fine if thats all you have, better than no bait at all. Just hone your skills at tossing a throw net and usually you can find shad somewhere. Helps a bunch to ask on here before you head out, usually someone has been there recently and knew where bait was. Chris

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    chris hit the nail on the head fresh is best :wink::wink:

but it sure is nice in winter time to have some frozzen bait if ya dont want to spend alot of time looking for bait and just want to get to the lake and fish , sometimes ya can find shad in 30 minutes then some days may be 3 hours lol ugggggg weve all been there ..

2 januarys ago i went drifting with my dad on truman with vaccummed packed shad we caught and froze early that fall and we had good success with the frozzen bait caught a couple 30s few in the teens and 20s and 3 to 10 lbers from what i can remeber around 25 fish in 2 days was the best in january drifting ,

then a few days we only catch 5 or so but good solid fish drifting in january .

down around the pomme arm .

then we tried it in the river below truman dam and it didnt seem to work 1 day but a week later would catch fish on it .

so if in dought wouldnt hurt to freeze a few bags and take 1 with ya incase ya run out of patience looking for them in the winter exspecially if the coves are froze over .

im not a firm believer in ya can only catch them deep in the winter time in 30 to 60 foot of water. I have found them too many times in coves and mouths of creeks in 3 to 15 ft of water .

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    To make the shad last longer just vac seal them and when you do rub them down with salt. I have used them like this and they work great.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'll stay home before I'll use frozen shad.

It's worth the time and effort to learn how to find fresh bait no matter what time of the year it is.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One of the better catfishermen in our area swears by shad guts collected from winter kill shad as one of the best baits available. I'm not exactly running out to gather them up, but I also wouldn't completely dismiss them.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I was the same way, but at times around here shad are next to impossible to get even in the summer time. I used frozen shad on several trip and they worked just as good as if they were new if stored right. I understand wanting to find fresh but Mo. must be different than Kansas becasue they are not as abundant here then again we do not have the size of lakes like Truman and such. It also might be a difference in the cat you are after. Since I fish a lot for Channels that could be the difference too. I do agree that it is worth the time to try but I also think that in a pinch use the frozen and enjoy the time on the water.

8. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    I agree .

My dad lives within 2 minutes of drake harbor and many times in the winter he will take left over old shad or frozzen and fish off the bank at the harbor and has caught some nice cats on it , he caught a 18lber , 33 lber , and some 5 lbers in around 3 hours 1 time last winter . and a few in 15 to 30 range from time to time in years past .

he hasnt banked fish this winter tho only out of the boat .

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    This is my opinion, but I would much rather have some of my own frozen shad then to not be able to fish that day. I have caught big fish off of the frozen stuff. And I would rather have my own freshly caught stuff then the stuff in the jars at bait shops.:cool2:

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Frozen bait beats setting at home.

Sure fresh is best but no matter how well you know your quarry (bait) you can't always find them. They are good for a backup plan or a quick trip to the river when you can't invest endless hours finding bait.

I keep frozen, vacuum packed skipjack in the freezer and I take a bag or two just in case when I know bait has been tough to find. I also take some when in the mood, just to offer an alternative bait. Sometimes they outfish the fresh shad and herring and sometimes they don't.:wink:

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I know a guy thats lived here all his life and probably catchs more BIG blues than anyone. He at time freezes shad in lake water (yep). When he gets ready to use them he put a fish oil capsule in there mouth. If you have current it will spread the scent as well or better than fresh.

Look at all the winter kill shad and the blues bellys during the winter and early spring. Think they dont eat em.....

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've used frozen as well as fresh and never noticed a whole lot of difference. I'm more confident in fresh, but I see a lot of people paying $6 a fish for frozen skips. I doubt they are magical enough that they're that much better frozen than shad:smile2: With my travel schedule grabbing a bag of frozen out of the freezer beats the snot out of spending 3 of my precious hours home throwing the net :smile2:

13. pitbull33

pitbull33 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use my old junk clinton motor to find the shad. If i just run it wide open and watch Ill see em break the water. All there is then is circle back and net some.

14. lee

lee Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    i never had a problem on my trotlines with frozen shad...
    a hungry cat will eat but i ,my dad, and his dad have proven over 50 years that leeches outfish shad 4:1
    lee and bitty

15. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    Leeches? I have never thought about using leeches for catfish bait? I have used them up in Canada and MN for eyes but catfish? I will have to give this a shot! Thanks. Kyle:cool2:

16. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i remember reading something about ice-out fish being able to tell that shad had been frozen and actually preferred them during the period. it has something to do with their metabolism being so slow and seeking the easiest meal.

17. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    also smaller bait size will help we use small shad heads alot of times if we catch the little 3 inch shad 2 or 3 little heads is a good bait in cold water .

and the smallest of tap tap bites can be a big fish they dont allways pull the rod down in cold water temps .