Shad Kill Blues

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Cherokee Rod Man, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    We had a big shad kill over here and the blues are gobbling them up, A customer from Quinton came by and had a 100qt. cooler full! With this next blast this week it should just get better.

2. coyote

coyote New Member

State:
    Verdigris, Ok
    Do they ever have to much to eat? A shad kill on Lake Hudson seemed to shut them down a couple of years ago. Too much food available? or was I just fishing in the wrong spot?

3. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Was the shad kill in a localized area or around the entire lake.

I was after Crappie at the dock in Fountainhead Saturday and didn't hear anyone talking about it...but it was cold and windy!

4. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Just look for the birds ganged up.

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    watch your banks and check your tailwaters theyll suck through

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Big shad kill on Kerr:eek:oooh: Water temp 36* surface yesterday...thousands of shad getting sucked through the generators:wink: millions of birds filling up:wink: Gonna get really cold next few days too..more temp-drop coming:eek:oooh: Me & Baitboat fished yesterday at Kerr in the snow & wind usually kill the fish in those conditions....NOT EVEN 1 BITE:eek:oooh: guess there all full...graphed & caught fresh shad ...had skips too...marked plenty of fish too...wouldn't hit nothing..bet there full..too full too eat!!!!LOL

7. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Sam,
    well, my trip over there Saturday didn't pan out, and by hearing of your results, I didn't miss much. I hate all this cold we have and the colder coming in too. We missed school today, and might again tomorrow.
    Might fish the river or Kerr this weekend, as the high temps "might" get above freezing...........we'll see on that.
    later

8. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Cold Cold Cold!!!!!

9. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Too DANG COLD COLD COLD

10. hookem4ever

hookem4ever New Member

State:
    OK
    How deep were the shad?

11. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    25-30ft deep and big schools..probably still are..maybe a little deeper due to the river being full of ice:cowboy:

12. hookem4ever

hookem4ever New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks for the info...

I was planning on fishing below LD 16 this weekend so I hope they are still there. Usually just fish above the 40 bridge and haven't been past it very far south except to the large island about a mile. Should a person try heading on down past that area? Any info would be appreciated about the area? I have only let in at Gore or Webbers so far. Always had luck on the west side of the river on the sandbanks below LD 16 but was shutout on bait about 3 weeks ago. Thanks again in advance for the info...

13. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well if it was me i would put in at Greenleaf corps ramp top side of webbers dam check for shad under the train bridge, Hwy bridge should be deep enough still..we usually get them there in the winter when we fish up there...Now below the dam is a different story..probably have to go down river past the Illinois river in-let..to the deep channel on the right...if ya get on the water early the birds will direct ya to the shad they surface for a few minutes every morning..