Shad Keeper?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by blackhorse83, Sep 16, 2006.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Any one bought any shad keeper lately? I was at BP tonight and it was over $20.00. Thats a huge increase over last time I bought any!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I just add a little salt to my water and keep the water fresh and chilled by adding some ice are prefrozen plastic bottles of water.

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Salt and ice. Yep, thats what ya need. Don't use tap water ice cubes tho. Chlorine in that water. Stay with the bottles of water like benji recomends.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If you're going to use city water and bagged ice, get some ammonia and chlorine remover from the nearest pet store - look for stuff called "Ammo Lock" - it will remove the chlorine almost instantly. Plus it'll help neutralize the ammonia put out by the shad and let them live a bit longer.

If you live in the country or know someone on well water, that's probably the best way to go. But city water will work fine if you treat it to remove the chlorine.

Add 1 cup of salt per 10 gallons of water. Not rock salt -- go to Wal Mart or Home Depot and buy pure water softener salt - make sure it's actually sodium chloride and not potassium chloride.

Oh -- and I use Better Bait instead of Shad Keeper. Works fine, got a huge jar of it that will last a couple of years.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    It just amazed me that 2 months ago it was $6.95 a jar and today it's over $20.00. I can use other stuff I'm just tire of every one sticking it in my shorts like the oil companys do!!

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I looked around on the web and a 3 pound jar of Shad Keeper sells for about $8.99 to $12.99

But in reading about it, I also noticed that 3 lbs of Shad Keeper will treat 101 gallons while 3 lbs of Better Bait will treat 2400 gallons.

3 lbs of Better Bait sells for about $15 and treats 24 times more water than Shad Keeper.

Based on the description, I'm betting that Shad Keeper contains mostly salt, plus the same chemicals as Better Bait. I can buy a 50 lb bag of water softner salt for about $4 and it'll last forever at 1 cup per 10 gallons.

So switch to Better Bait and add the salt yourself as I recommended above.

Then you can be the one sticking it to the man... :smile2:

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats great news, thanks, may be they will get hung with a truck load of shad keeper and have to eat the stuff there self's. I understand very well that if a company is in bussiness they must make money to stay in bussiness, but they don't have to make it all off the stuff I want.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I bought some shad keeper at Bass Pros back in July for 7.99. That's the last time I have bought any. That is odd on the price change. I'd look elsewhere for it before using Better Bait on shad. In a pinch, I've used Better Bait in a commericially made oxygenated bait tank and might as well have added dish soap to it. We had to scrape the foam off the top constantly all night long. I'll never do that again. I think the shad would have lived better if we had filled the tank up with urine. Pickling salts works OK if you have some Foam Off handy. Shad Keeper definately gets the job done but you don't get many live well fills out of a 3 lb jar as others have stated.