Shad jello

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by primitivefrn, Jul 16, 2009.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Made some, shad jello, last night, first for me. I put some catalpa worms and juice, for,
    seasoning.
    this may rank right up with, shade lemonade, I made at Missouri gathering about 2 years ago, no body drank, any
    But Rusty's shad scale donuts, went real good, I think Troy ate most, I ate the chocolate one so I could see, scales.
    recipe 15 large shad preferred fresh and dead
    2pk of strawberry jello
    6 large catalpa worms fresh
    pour jello mix into container and mix in worm
    and shad and chill, not recommended for human consuming.:eek:oooh::smile2:
    JIM

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Got some mighty hungry catfish here that might enjoy a snack like that. Wanna thank you.

3. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    wow, mixing catfish faves in jello...never thought of that...does it really work? does it stay on a hook? or was this just a joke...

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Some what of a joke, you don't use the jello, unless for chum.
    you pull the shad out of jello, and use, them. the jello seals the, shad, and help, hold secent. keeps the air, from shad.
    Jim:big_smile:

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    HAHA that is great lol

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I knew that I should have gave Rusty all the strawberry donuts that day. :eek:oooh:

7. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I thought that it sounded pretty tasty. NOT!!!!!!

8. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do you do this if you are planning on putting them in the freezer? Or would you do this then put them in the fridge for a long period of time without freezing?

9. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    [, not recommended for human consuming.:eek:oooh::smile2:
    JIM[/QUOTE]

I would hope not:eek:oooh::dribble:

John

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I done this to seal the shad, from air and put them in, fridge didn't freeze them.
    kept them for a week and used them, looked OK, first time I done it fish will have to tell me if it works.I don't like frozen shad, had some nice ones that had just died, and use this to keep them a little longer.
    Jim:wink:

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    Don't sell your idea short. I did a lot of work with jello based bait in England back in the early eighties. The idea was to try and create a self-chumming bait.
    We don't have shad in England, but with your shad recipe this is how I would have done it back then:
    Liquidize a bunch of shad in a blender and mix with some plain gelatin. Put 12 pieces of shad into the "cups" of a 1 dozen styrofoam egg carton and pour the shad/gelatin mixture over them and let it set up. When set up just put them on the hook. As the gelatin dissolves in the water the bits of liquidized stuff make a scent/chum trail that comes right from the bait. You can also use ice cube trays to make them a bit smaller.
    You might have to experiment a bit with the gelatin/water/liquidized shad to get it to set up just right...W

12. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri

Do you think that it would hold for weeks on end?

13. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Josh you will have to try it and see how long it will last. Might try and freez it, don't know what jello does when froze, as I have said before,
    frozen shad,
    is not one of my go to baits.
    Jim

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009