Shad. Is it just me?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Jagal, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Is it just me,or does it seem like the shad in the Evansville area are a bit bigger this year as compared to the last few previous years? :0a28:

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were have you been finding shad? they have been hit and miss on even being able to get them when i have been out...

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've noticed all the lakes around here are FULL of shad frye. I've never seen so many schools of them. carlyle is overwhelmed by them. we have'nt had much luck catching catfish either. I figured it's because there's an over abundance of food for them to eat. It's definately been a good year for the shad at least. there should be some really good size catfish biting after the fall shad kill.

4. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Mostly next to Newburgh Dam, but like you said it's hit or miss. When I get them though they are big. I've actually been catching them with a piscator rig a lot when I am trying to get skips and mooneye.

5. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I sure hope so

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck finding the shad brothers, I feel there could be a larger number of shad that survived last years mild winter, this could account for you catching larger ones than normal.

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    ive been catching big mooneye on cut skip here lately. ive got 9 of them about 18- 20 inches. long. ive only been able to find small shad in the river.

8. whiskerfisher

whiskerfisher New Member

State:
    IN
    yea I have noticed the size to be bigger this year, but not catching many shad like I was a month ago, I am catching them above the dam in Newburgh, but not catching many cats, biting slow, biggest this summer 45# blue 3 weeks back.

9. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Where have you been catching your mooneye at?