Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Shad in the Scioto River

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  catmanofohio 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any luck catching shad in the Scioto?:confused2:

#4 ·
well i live about an hour towards cinci on the river in a town called aberdeen, and they are schooled up NICE about 10 more mins from me closer to cinci. and are heading this way, caught 14 the other day in about 10 throws, but in Ripley there are huge schools by the 100's and skipjack all around the schools, they are heading your way, should be there GOOD in the next week or so... coming up from the south man.

#6 ·
Thanks, I live in South Bloomfield so I'll give it a try. Do you usually throw in the riffles when you are looking for them? Thanks again guys.
I have my best luck catching scioto shad in slack water areas, especailly after heavy rain and the river is up..look for a slack water spottt wehere the water is up in the grass, should be sahd by the thousand,

#8 ·
Uhh go to Wal-mart and buy u a pair of Berkley 1mm polarized glasses for like 10.00 and they help out 100%. I find it better to catch them in deeper holes of water, and they seem to like riprap very well. BUT WATCH OUT this will rip the crap out of your net. I like to find a sand bar about 8' deep and let it sink almost to the bottom and pull when its about a foot off the bottom. I have about the same luck doing this as letting it sink to the bottom ( with less snags of course ) Good luck man, they are moving towards you, i caught one yesterday about 10 inches long, with a few about 7 inches. i have 6 Gallon freezer bags in the freezer about 1/2 full of whole shad :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.