Shad in the Roanoke River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anybody been yet or heard anything. I know its a tad early but I'm hungry for some good shad roe. I drive down to Weldon from Richmond VA every year around March 20 to do some Shad catching on the Roanoke River. The shad in the James River in Richmond usually show up a week or two after the Roanoke River shad. Help!!

2. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    hello,.....havent been yet but i have some info thatmay help(i may go tommorow evening as my wife is from northhampton co) i have been keeping fishing logs for over 25 years........earliest i have ever caught a shad in the neuse or roanoke was feb 13th of 1 year........they have been earlir but i wasnt there......most usually come around first of march......also hickory shad run first then white shad...i usually catch white shad later....up into late april....hickorys are gone and/or leaving.......i have a great book on shad called "the founding fish"...alot of info in this book......1 thing he has is that hickorys will get into there home river when the temp reaches 6 deg celiusl....43 degrees f ...........this has been true on the roanoke for me.....also, look at usgs.gov......this has water levels which is great for me as i canoe alot but a few of the stations have temp as well.....looked at roanoke river oak city and it has today a temp of 6.5 deg celisus which is right at 44 deg f.....so some should be coming into the r river......i have caught then in the roanoke when the tepm was 44.5 -45 deg f......also neuse river had a gauging station that had water temp but sometimes the govermet deletes 1 for some reason so i coulnt get a temp for the neuse........if i go tommorow evening i will give a report...hope this helps mack

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the heads up. I had heard from a neighbor that he had caught them at Weldon as early as Presidents Day in February. I will probably wait and go the first time the second week of March. I got a new gillnet from Memphis Net yesterday and am going on the James to try it out on Gizzard Shad at dawn and fish for Bluecats on the James today. Been real windy the last two days but nice and calm outside right now.