Shad in the Neuse River - Eat Mo Shad?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by kylekutta, Jan 31, 2007.

1. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    I went to the neuse sport shop to get jigs for tying shad rigs.I was informed that the first shad had been caught in lenior county on the neuse river at Hwy 70 boat ramp.If this info was true the shad run on the neuse has started.Have fun and good luck!

2. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have never fished in the Neuse river, but if this is right then the shad must spawn a lot earlier here than on the Cape Fear.

3. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    The first shad is always caught in Jan or early Feb.People start fishing at the first of jan to catch the first one in Kinston or Lenoir County.Little bit of local fame with a pic in the local news paper and a trophy at the annual shad festival in Grifton,NC.The best shad fishing is late Feb and the month of March.The closer you get to the coast the more you will find this early.

4. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    It is true first shad was in the Kinston Free Press it wieghed 1.75 lbs.and caught yesterday.Rumors of a few more have been caught today with good size to them.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Shad fishing is fun, I went last year with the ultralights and had a blast. Just something different than reeling in cats all the time. The biggest one I caught last year was like 3lbs but hopefully this year I'll catch a bigger one. The best way I found to catch them is to find a very narrow part of the river so they are more condensed and it gives you a better chance of catching a lot of them. I used a 1/8 oz pink jig head and normally a white tail. I rigged the line so that I had two jigs in tandem and that also increases your odds. Dont let people tell you that you need those expensive shad darts because you dont, you can use them but when you can buy a whole jig kit for the price of about 10 darts its just not cost effective to me. The best luck I had was to get right next to the bank on a bend in the river and cast the jigs down river and then just reel in after it sinks a little bit. The real fun starts when you get 2 fish on at the same time. I kept about 20 of them last year for some bait, still have some left though. Didn't really catch much on them though so I went back to the trusty eels and bluegill.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've never gone. I was supposed to go a couple of times last year, but could never work out going. Maybe I can get in on the action this year.

7. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    My freezer has been waiting for those Hickories and American shad to show up again. The Stripers wont be far behind either.

8. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    IF it's like last year when the shad run was good at spring garden the big cats started to bite.Thats when Pam and Tammy and ron got in to the big ones.I hope the rock will do good this year to.

9. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have shad darts in every color you could think of. best colors are pearl white and green for some reason. i use a 3 way swivel and use a dart about 1/8 oz. and than a shad spoon either gold or silver. gold for some reason is better too. have caught them here at locks up to 5 lbs and boy do they pull. i let you all know when they get here and should come fish. cause cats and strippers are here eating them like crazy.

10. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I'll be glad when they start showing at the coast too.We troll for them in the NE Cape Fear with the dart/spoon combo.Also use the grubs.Have caught some really nice ones in the past.Hope this years will produce some good-uns too :smile2: .

Timber

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    anyone been catching any shad on the neuse around spring garden or ft barnwell area. I dont want to drive all the way there just to see, I only like going when they are biting good.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    There is no better cut bait than fresh shad and absolutely the worst cut bait is thawed out previously frozen shad. Don't know why it is but that's the way it plays out. Might as well stay at home and do chores if you have to use thawed out frozen bait.

13. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Yes Jason they are starting to bite pretty good at spring garden in new bern.They having been wearing them out up by pitch kettle also,Some guys came back to the dock last night with some big stripers also.I caught 3 yesterday and two the day before.They will be on a lot thicker i think within a week but we are catching them.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats cool, maybe I'll come up there saturday afternoon to do some shad fishing and maybe try for some blues on up river. I need to run the crap out of my boat, just gave my engine a shock treatment of ring free and need to run all that gas out and change the oil.

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree and disagree with that statement...true the best bait for cats (in my opinion) is a FRESH BIG FAT BLOODY GIZZARD SHAD. especially for blues...bream for flatties

Now having said that I disagree with your statement about frozen, then thawed shad being the worst bait....me and my fishing partners and a bunch of 20, 30, and 40 lb. cats would argue that.

if done correctly (vacumed sealed) shad will bleed when thawed back out for cut bait...and that mess about them being soggy and falling off the hook is not correct either if... once again it is done correct...

just my two cents...

i vacume seal my shad within 1 hour of catching them...i wipe them down and put only 2-3 gizzard per bag and they immediately go into the freezer after their vacumed sealed....

come late fall and early winter time when we cant catch shad easy we rely on our vacume sealed shad...it works...IF IT'S DONE PROPERLY!!!

16. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went to spring garden about 7:15 am got 4 shad in adout one hour. Best trip this year.

17. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Properly frozen shad works is news to me. I never went through those steps but again the few times I tried using frozen bait it didn't work for me. We are lucky in Richmond that we have a power plant with a warm water discharge. The gizzards are easy to find in the winter in the warm water using a gill net. Man I hate throwing a cast net when its below freezing.

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I'll probably go up there tomorrow then, I will just go to a narrower part of the river, that way they are more concentrated and can limit out every time I go. I still havent used all my shad from last year but I guess I will just use the older shad for the eel trap and the newer shad for cats. Hopefully this warm spell we have had will make the cats want to eat.

19. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Water temp in the James at Richmond VA was 42 last Saturday and the Cats were snapping. I bet yours are too!:smile2:

20. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I couldn't beleive it but the water temp on the neuse was 55 degrees. Did some shad fishing but didn't catch one. Threw everything I had at them but I guess the tons of fresh rain turned off the bite. Went down by weyerhauser to try some deeper water for blues, didn't get a bite there. I went about 25 miles upriver and lost two cats in the stumps, one felt small and the other one felt like it was well into the 20's. So far for 2007 I haven't caught a catfish but I've only went twice. Maybe sometime this year the river will be down to normal levels but we'll see.