Shad in Priest

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catfishnewbie08, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey guys. Just wanted to know if anyone is finding any active shad in Percy Priest? If so, where at? I've not been able to find 'em and need to stock up.

2. skbrilo

skbrilo Member

State:
    Nashville, TN
    If you want to stock up... plan a trip to the Cumberland City Steam Plant. You can catch enough Skipjack in a day to last you for all next year. Make sure you bring someone to help carry the cooler. I'm going Friday.. so I will let you know how we do.

S

3. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    When I fished Priest. I would buy shad from Starkys Bait and Tackle on Stewarts Ferry Pike. It gets expensive but they worked. Now I have invested in a throw net. Also just recently started fishing with cut skips. Skips is all I want to fish with now. Im going to Cumberland City soon to stock up.

4. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Yeah, I would go to Cumberland City, but it is just kind of far just to go catch some bait. I do not have a chest freezer at home, so I can't really store them. Wife wouldn't let me keep some in the freezer for the referigerator :sad2: How much were the shad at the bait shop and how big? Were they alive or frozen?

5. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Just wrap em in that white freezer paper,mark T-Bone,with black marker,and put right on in there on top of that ice cream.She will never know.:big_smile:

6. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Cost, I dont remember. 3 to 4 inches and live. If its too far to drive try bluegill heads. The bigger the better. Priest is a great lake for drift fishing.
    I use to drift fish Priest all the time. I would fish near the weakly rd bridge, where it crosses over the lake on the upper end. As soon as you go under the bridge, like you are traveling up stream, turn to the right and there is a big mud flat , in the summer 10 to 20ft of water. I would drift from the bridge, south, if the wind is right, and catch nice channels and blues in the evening. Drift from the bridge as far south as you can go. That whole area was a good place to drift fish. The channel does a big U through that area (just study the lake map or the depth finder)and that is where those big cats come out of close to the evening. Once you get up in there you will see where the channel goes. It has been a while since I have fish this area but this was one of my favorite drifting spots on the lake. Like I said bluegill heads worked great too. Good Luck.

7. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Good one Sonny.

8. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    LOL, good one Sonny. If my wife didn't have the nose of a bloodhound, that might just work!

Cattracker...where exactly is Starky's located? I went out to the lake yesterday since it was sunny outside and thought the shad might move to the surface to warm up. Nah..all I managed to catch were itty bitty shad, which might have made good bait for other fish, but that ain't what I'm after.

9. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    From I40 get off at Stewarts Ferry (the dam exit)and go towards Hickory Hollow and near the exit on the right is a shopping center with a food lion. Starkeys is in the shopping center.
    Another place you might catch shad is at the marinas. We would throw our nets near the boat slips and catch shad. Our best luck was for some reason in the empty boat slips. You have to use a smaller throw net.