Shad in Maryland

Discussion in 'LOCAL MARYLAND TALK' started by pitbull, Jan 30, 2007.

1. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    Hey guys just wondering is there NE where u can buy fresh shad at ?? I just got a casting net still learning how to throw it good. 20 degrees to cold net would get ice on it and was freezing my hands. I will take all advise .

2. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Have not seen any live shad for sell before, maybe due to that they are hard to keep alive. I've heard of dead shad in a bag at Wally World before though. Have you tried google?

Ruben

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Do not buy those ones at walmart. I have before and they do not work at all. We tried them on tree lines next to fresh caught shad and every one with a fresh caught shad had a fish the next day and every shad from wally world still had the shad. There is a local mom and pop bait store here that sells frozen skipjack, mooneyes, and shad. they are good bait, just a little too far of a drive from you guys :cool2:

4. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I havent heard of anyone buying fresh shad around here. From what Ive read on here some of the Maryland guys have been buying fresh Croaker and Perch from Annapolis seafood over in Waldorf and having very good success with it. Also Tim has a place where he buys live carp.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I would call the market in waldorf and see if they have them or can get them for you. They are hard to get in maryland but the VA guys are getting them with gill nets. I Someone had said a shop on the VA side of the 301 bridge sales them maybe check over there also.

6. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    Thanks for all the help Tim . If u find out where in Va let me know I will check around myself. Where u get the carp from ?Do they work good? I am new to all this been fish upper potomac for many many years for channels , but one time to Fort Washington now I am hooked on it. Biggest fish i have hooked was around 40lbs but my buddy broke my line with the net . I sit on the boat all day waiting for another chance. Maybe I will have to come with U. U give discounts to members right? I am interrested in going with u . Let me know when is best NOW or next month or whenever. Hope to hear from U.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I get carp down there they can be easy to catch at time i also buy they at a hatchery smaller ones. We can hook up here when thing start back up and I will show you of thing to help get you hooked up.