Shad in KC Area Lakes?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Anyone know of some specific areas where I might be able to net some shad from the bank at any of the Jackson County lakes (Jacomo, Blue Springs, Prairie Lee or Longview)?

I haven't been able to figure out for sure whether Jacomo and Prairie Lee allow the use of a throw net or not; I'll assume they do until I find out otherwise...

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's kind of tough.. Jacomo has a lot of shad, and as best I can tell cast nets are legal there. I've thrown from the banks a few times with no luck. I think you could get a nice bunch in the Prarie Lee spillway if the water was running, but it's probably not legal there. Most of the spillways are pole and line only.

I usually go out to Olathe Lake, it's the only semi reliable place I have found to net shad from the bank.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's not Jackson county, but Smithville lake is thick with shad this year. They seem to be schooling in the back of coves or in the shallows lately. As a matter of fact, I'm heading that way in the next half hour to get some myself. Shoot me a PM and I can give you some directions and a couple of places where they seem to be. Sorry I can't be more help on the lakes closer to you.

Branden

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll 2nd that. Smithville is top notch right now. There so thick you can almost walk across the cove and not get your feet wet.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Hit S'ville this evening, was on the lake for an hour from the time I put my boat in to the time I got back to the ramp. Just weighed what I caught and I bagged 9# of 5 inchers. Out of the throws I made, only 2 came up empty. My freezer is now completely full of dead, frozen fishies and I may not post anymore after my wife gets home, opens the freezer, and then kills me.....

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Solib-that why you get his and hers freezers :p :p

No end in sight at work yet-hope to help you with your "problem" soon though,maybe 3 weeks?Water is high and muddy from the week-end rains.I imagine they will open up the dam when the rivers drop a little.The big Platte river never got too high.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I hate to drag my boat an hour up to Smithville just for shad, but guess I may have to if they're that easy to get!

We can get them just about as easily on Truman just about any time, but since I live less than 10 minutes from all of the Jackson County lakes, was hoping someone would know where I could find them down here from the shore. I don't have a yearly county boat permit and can't see paying $17 for a 1-day permit just to go look for shad in these lakes...

Thanks for the info.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    That's how smithville is like 17$ for a 1 day fee. But if you go after say like 6pm when there is nobody there to take money it's free!! I catch all my shad at night anyway so I head out there at dark.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Didn't realize there was such a steep fee for Smithville Lake - it's only $3 or so down on Truman.

I called the Clay County Parks office and they said there aren't any agents collecting the fees for the rest of the season, so it's basically free. She said there's an "honor box" if you feel like using it, but most people don't...

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah well clay county can kiss my *** on there honor box. :) I refuse to pay.

11. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    I pay Clay County all year with tax money so I'm going to have to agree and they can kiss mine as well.