Shad in Jacomo lake?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 26, 2008.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are there any good places on Jacomo or Blue Springs lake to net some shad?

2. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    You can sometimes find shad at the bottom of Jacomo spillway into Blue Springs Lake. A decent spot is to go is to the Blow hole not far from the spillway. It's also a good place to fish if nobody is around. Alot of Mexicans like to go there getting carp, shad and whatever else they can catch to eat. However several catfisherman have did well this year with many blues going over 20 pounds. A good place to go sometimes is back behind Blue Springs Lake Dam in that small spillway. Not much of a walk and you can drive straight there. It is rocky so becareful with your shad net, but many times I have done well there catching shad. I hope this helps ya

3. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the help. I'll try all these places tomorrow.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Best place to find shad on Blue Springs lake is on the southwest side of road that cuts across the south end of the lake - go under the bridge and hang a right, go all the way back to the end and start looking between the trees and the shore. If you can't find them there, the next best place is near the no wake bouys on the north side of the bridge - seems like they pull back there after a storm.

I used to get shad in Blue Springs lake all the time, could launch the boat, catch all the shad I needed and have the boat back on the trailer in a little over 30 minutes. Especially this time of year. Can't take the new boat out there though (the county permit is too expensive with a 225 hanging on the back...) so haven't been there since last summer.