Shad in Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by init 4 the CATFIGHTS, Jun 11, 2006.

1. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know most of my posts are about lake mattoon, but the hours I work I dont have alot of time to go anywhere else for a bit. So here goes another one. I'v been having a little trouble finding the shad. I'v been around the marina, and the old beach with nothing but an empty net! Anybody know where they are at?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If legal there try below the spillways. Be carefull where you throw trhat net as not to lose it or be drug into a fast moving river!! :eek:oooh:

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    There is little, if any, water going over the dam at Lake Mattoon right now. It wouldn't be a good place to find them anyway. It would depend on the time of day as to where the shad would be. Usually, they are not close to the bank.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive heard if you put a floating light on the water at night and wait a few hours the shad should gather around the light, Then throw your net in and see what you can get.You might want to give that a try.

5. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I always have good luck around boat ramps right after dark, especially if there's a pole light nearby.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Alan, you ever see any shad of any kind of size out at sangchris.. All I ever net is little ones....

7. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    All I catch down there are little ones too, maybe four inches long at most. A lot of people have told me that they prefer the small ones, although I'm not sure why...maybe we could start a poll somewhere on here.

8. lynard_454

lynard_454 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    try around the pump house at lake mattoon and lake paradise that is where my step dad showed me to catch shad