Shad in Hot water?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by photocat, Aug 7, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Where do the shad like hanging out when the water temps get up and above like 85 or 90 degrees? I'm sure they won't be in the shallows (except for the high plankton growth in those areas, maybe) so then where will they go? back out to uncatchable deep waters?

2. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Brian anywhere there is a good supply of fresh water coming into a body of water they usually will stack up there. The reason being current, they love current cause it carries oxygen mixing into the water where they're at. Sometimes the fresh water may be a little different temperature also, the cooler the water coming in the better. Also where there is current around bridge pillings the also stack up there too. Anywhere there is a currnet difference or mixture thet place is your best bet.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I fish a large reservoir. It has many big creeks that feed into it. Well, many of them have bridges going over them about halfway back in them. Spring thru Fall I catch a ton of bait at night off the bridges which have lights on them also. It is only about 5ft deep there, and I only get the shad when there is current, and there is only current when they run one of the dams.

Zakk

4. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i find them in the back of pockets on the large rivers here. some times if i am throwing my cast net i watch my graph and find them deep.let yor net sink as far as you can.plus alot of times i will see one shad flip and end up with all i need because the rest of the school is under him.i have used this trick alot and have caught shad when nobody else was.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I catch them around here in the same places no matter the temperature.

Was out a week or so ago, surface temperature was 88 degrees. All that did was move them from 3 ft out to about 6 ft of water.

Shad go where the plankton go, and the plankton go where the wind blows them.

6. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do shad show up on a fish finder?

Im about to buy a net and try catching some bait.

Bill

7. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just get them by the spillway were i fish they arent on top any more tho i have to let my cast net sink alot more b for i get in to them hope this helps

8. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes thay do show up on fishfinders. If you leave your fish icons off you get bannana looking things that are fisf on there, and shad look like dark clouds. If you turn your fish icons on and you get ALOT of small fish concentrated in a tight spot that usually can be shad also. Good luck!