Shad in Charleston Rivers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Catmansc2006, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Besides the Cooper, which local rivers hold shad. ? Wando, Ashley etc. Any advice will be most welcomed.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Pretty much all of the decent size freshwater rivers have shad runs in the spring, but only a couple have enough fish that it's worth fishing for them.

By far the Santee and the Cooper have the biggest runs. Most people fish below the dams on the rivers where the shad pile up on thier upstream migration. Downstream of the dams, some people know other places (I've heard rumors of a ledge area on the santee above hwy 41), but it's mostly trolling the bank, to cover water and find fish. I know a guy that trolls the Edisto for shad and he says the catch rate is about 1 per hour on a good day. A good day on the Cooper River tailrace is about 15 to 20 per person.

I know the Winyah Bay rivers also have good shad runs, but I don't know if anyone fishes for them hook and line until they hit dams up in NC and such.

3. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Santee river has a great shad run from Wilson's Landing in Cross to the bridge on hwy 17 near Georgetown.

4. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Wateree river near Lugoff/ Camden has a good number of shad as well. They pile up behind the dam as well and this produces some good action for both stripers and cats. I don't think you will ever break a state record there but when they are biting you can wear out your fingers. Just be mindful that when you hear the Sirens blow, it is time to go... uphill that is. Good bank fishing at night as well. When the fish start biting though, the weekends get crowded on the new fishing deck but you can still fish from the river bank. Good luck and remember to take a kid fishing, you might change his life forever!
    Just my 1/5th of a Dime's worth.