Shad in Central NC

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by papabear108, Mar 3, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what depth are the shad this time of year? Also, they are calling for 76 degree temps this weekend, will that bring them to the surface? HELP!!!!!!!:crazy::embarassed::eek:oooh: I am going channel cat fishing on Monday 3/9, and I am looking to put some of my knowledge I have learned here to good use, and it all starts with the fresh bait. :confused2:

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    It will probably push the bait back in the creeks. Ride up in the creeks until you mark schools of it.

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    shad is easiest before daylight. fresh perch and crappie just as good. fillet a crappie and cut strips in the filet about the size and lenth of your finger, hook it on one end. do same for perch but scale it first.

4. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I think I've read that you sometimes fish Jordan. If you use crappie there be sure to save the fish you fillet so you can show the game warden it was legal size. Had some friends telling me they had been finding some shad around the concrete walls at Cross Creek Marinia. Also anywhere the crappie fisherman were the night before you should be able to find some shad close to the surface right at daylight. Usually near any of the bridge pilings at Ebinezer or 64 on up. Do not throw your cast net near the Pier at Bells Church unless you want to get a new one. Also near the fish attractors anywhere near the south end of the river s's ( bends toward the damn ) ! Fishing Fred

5. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What kinds of shad can I find in local resevoirs. Jordan and Harris specifically. Everyone talks about using shad but I am totally lost on the topic. Never used shad, never caught shad to my knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.