Shad In Broad River?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Big Cat Hunter, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have fished broad river all my life. I know there is plenty of shad in there. My question is has anyone ever tried to catch them in a cast net? I live in Union and the river is only about 10 min away from my house. I would like to be able to catch the shad for trips to Monticello. Can anyone offer any advice?

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Randy I have caught threadfin at Cannon Creek on Parr with a castnet but that is more than 10 mins from Union. I have also caught many white perch there at Cannon Creek just under the bridge. I normally target the white perch with light tackle from the bank under the bridge then go to Monticello. There is a bait & tackle store in Union now that have shad & herring on the Neal Shoals Rd.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I know it's a long ways from you, but when I was in school in Cola, I used to cast net shad all the time. Any rocky shallow area had shad. I would stand on the rocks with the net and watch and wait. Sometimes I'd stand a wait for a half hour and then throw the net once and get all I needed - threadfin and gizzard shad. They like hard surfaces like rocks, boat landings, pilings where they can graze.

4. Chalk

Chalk Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    I tried to throw a cast next done there one day but since I didn't know what I was doing and almost fell out of the boat a couple of times I didn't try anymore. I did however buy Shad at the Backwoods Bait store on the Neal Shoals road Saturday.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I know they are there but as to where I haven't been able to figure it out. They have been pumped in to Gaffney's water supply lake from Broad River.

6. steelytom

steelytom New Member

State:
    Cola, SC
    In columbia right by the childrens museum is a good place. There is a outflow that I saw lots of shad in, at least in the spring they were thick. Never tried catching them there though.

7. big "E"

big "E" New Member

State:
    SC
    I was fishing the broad yesterday for brim for wateree bait tonight and I saw a BUNCH of shad busting right out in the middle of the channel. I was bank fishing at the time for bait like I said , and I smacked myself for not having the tub with me....First time I have ever seen this down there and can only attribute it to the low water level.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Eric was you at Pick Hill?

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Randy

A good place for shad is usually near the dam particularly where the water comes out of the powerhouse. Be very careful in these areas. Shad are attracted to the current and rocks. I would think they would be hard to pinpoint in the open river. I do see a lot of shiners out in the open but usually the big gizzard are found around the big rocky areas near the dam. Might want pay attention the boulders and rocky shoals. It can be very rough on a cast net.

10. big "E"

big "E" New Member

State:
    SC
    Yes sir I was. Looking up river in the middle of the channel as they started popping.