Shad in Alabama???

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by fisheater, Jun 16, 2008.

1. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am near Montgomery Al. around Holy Ground and Gunter Hill. I am looking for a place to catch shad. Anyone have any ideas on where to catch.

2. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    shad are still running at logan martin .
    if you are looking for small shad check your feeder creeks.the shad here in sylacauga are hatching out in the creeks.,you will need a 1/4 inche cast net to get the ones in the creeks.keep a eye on the small creeks in the winter as well they tend to cake up there bad in the winter.

3. DHW

DHW New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The fishing pier below Mitchell Dam is a good place.
    Sometimes you can dip them with a long handled net, sometimes you can get some with a cast net.
    The generators have to be running to be able to get the shad.

4. fichere

fichere New Member

State:
    alabama
    try holy grnd ramp & up in the creek to the left of the landing. i usualy find them there & in the mouth of the creek left side going out about day light.good luck. fichere

5. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You can put in at Wetumpka and get on the Coosa, travel down stream and head up to the Bouldin Dam, lot's of shad along the banks on the way up to the dam. If you don't have a boat, you can drive to Bouldin Dam and then walk down to the dam and along the bank. If you want some big gizard shad, the Coosa at the boat ramp by boiling springs - you can catch them from the bank all day.

6. luckycat1

luckycat1 New Member

State:
    Osage River Missouri
    MSgtCatfish, Can you tell me the route to travel to Boiling Springs boat ramp? I've never been there, I'm in the Elmore county area.
    I'm Retired USAF

7. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Where can i find shad or skipjacks in madison or limestone county.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I catch them below bouldin dam, more small ones than big but it's the best place I've found to stock up on them...

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't know of anyplace specific, but I'm sure they are there. i would check any incoming streams to the main water body

10. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You got a PM with directions.