Shad in a pond...

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by harper81, Jun 23, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well here in Sumter, SC there are housing developments popping up left and right and each of them have a pond or 2. So I was wondering if shad can survive and reproduce in a pond? I have heard they can take over a small body of water, but thats not really the concern here. There are no other fish in these ponds and I am tired of driving 45 minutes to get shad. So in reality I would want them to completely take over so I can stop by and catch a dozen or so and go fish.

2. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    My initial response, based on the research that I've done (which don't mean a whole lot) is that the water temps will probably get too high for them to survive for long. That and introducing by introducing them to a body of water without a health population of predator fish, they wil probably over populate the pond and eventually starve themselves out.

Jon

3. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Some of my kin had some in one but this pond was about 1/2 acre. This was 30years ago. Believe Jon might be right they might over populate unless you keep this population down. Depends on the type of shad. Gizzard and the like will eat plankton.

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    There is a pond right by my house about 1-1/2 acres. filled with bait fish....Small bluegills, sunfish, and Gizzard Shad. There is also Carp, Large Mouth Bass, and Catfish a few that are pretty big as well, but the gills never seem to get very big There are Crappie in there too, but they are all really small. I have seen large fish taken from this pond, but have only used it for a place to get bait myself and a place to drop those little dink catfish that I catch on the river. But, there is a good population of Shad in there that seems to do well.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    well ive tried this before, and i think if you could get the shad to the pond where you want to stock them you should be good to go, the biggest problem ive had is getting them there, they die fairly easy on me, and if you want it for a bait pond i suggest getting the bait from where you gonna fish? always seemed to work better for me! but hey try and let me know how it goes, tell me what you did! ive tried about 10 times, unsuccesful each time
    =(

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    remember sha eat plankton, and plankton thrives on sunlight... i have seen a lot of shad in not a lot of water. after about a year you should be able to thin em out yourself, with the castnet. let us know how it works!

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    would be nice to have a bait supply in your back yard

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i figured out how to transport the shad! i just took a bunch of 5 gallon buckets bought one aeriotor for each bucket, it took about 45 minutes, and 27/28 shad stayed alive, im gonna do it again, it worked really well, but make sure you get an okay quality aeriotar, the really cheap ones didnt work to well,