Shad I think

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by holeinthewall, Sep 11, 2007.

1. holeinthewall

holeinthewall New Member

State:
    mo
    i got a fish to day in the missouri river it looks like a shad but it has teath

Attached Files:

2. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    thats a goldeye its pretty good bait

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Also known as a Mooneye if the eye is silver instead of gold.

I learned the hard way, don't ask. LOL:eek:oooh:

And yes, it is really good bait!!!!!

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You better listen to Darryl - he's an absolute expert at fish identification!:big_smile:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!! T, you caused me to launch a half chewed chicken finger from here to the wall.

And Mr T is correct, if ANYONE knows a Mooneye when they see one, it is definitely Ol SkipEye, mmm, I mean Darryl1. :smile2:

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    It's goldeye easy way to tell look at the fin on his back if it inline with his fin on his belly it's a goldeye good bait

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Har-De-Har!!!! You guys are soooooooo funny I am spewing chicken nuggets all the way across the freaking room. Somebody owes me some chicken nuggets!:nosebleed:

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Scrape the scales off and filet it, IMHO that is 10 TIMES better than shad as bait!!

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Whats the deal with scraping the scales off?

Also even filleting it for that matter. Most of them are less than 5 inches long. I cut the tail off, score the sides for 'extra' blood and fish 'em.

Just curious, I'll try anything if it works.

You've caught some nice fish.

10. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    ol skipeye knows what hes talking about aka daryl1 but daryl i usually just cut the tails off or fish them live 80% of the time i fish them live they stay alive very well on the hook as long as they have some current as far as taking the scales off most river fish have hard scales and can give you problems if they get in the way of the point on your hook

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    LMAO. And here I thought for sure he would say it was a skipjack....

12. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I de-scale them and chunk them up. Every blue i have caught over 20lbs has been caught on mooneye including thye on in my avatar.:smile2: And as for the size most of the mooneye i catch in the river are 12 to 16 inches. This is top blue cat bait in the Missouri River in my parts. Which is St.Joseph, MO.

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Like slider said, the scales can get in the way of a good hook set,

and the goldeyes I usually catch for bait are anywhere from 7-15 inches long with great BIG scales...

the filet IMO is all the good oily meat, Don't get me wrong, I'll also use the head and gut pocket as well but I have seen more bites on the Filets. I'd say 75% of the big fish I've caught this year have been caught using Goldeye, the remaining 25% have have been caught on skippy and asian carp. I tried using shad at the "Louisiana Meet and Greet" and didn't get a single bite, then I caught some Goldeyes and skipps near the dam and....well....I would have taken 1st had I not got delayed at the DAM DAM WAITING ON A DAM BARGE:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

14. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    all the fish i caught before we sank that day was on cut shad the fish in my avatar was caught on live mooneye in the summeer i will mostky use live bait but as the water cools i start going to cut bait

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    When fishing live bait I usually take the scales off the sides to help release the baits scent in the water and this won't kill it as fast as cutting it.

16. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is a goldeye or also known as a mooneye! They are definately great bait for big blues...Darryl does know all about them mooneye!

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Darryl knows bout dem skipjacks too. :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Guys if he cought it in the daytime it a goldeye and if he cought it at night its a mooneye