shad hunting

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Mar 22, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me and my buddy Roger :HRcats: spent this afternoon and paint creek and rocky fork lake searching for freezer shad.

About a thousand throws each and we only came up with about 10 shad each:sad2:

But we found some spots I think are gonna fill our freezers when the water warms just a little bit more..hopefully this week!

2. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Yeah it's been rough around here on shad to Jack. Hopefully we'll be able to start getting em' real soon...

3. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Jack we have been slaying four inchers at the ramp off North Shore Drive at Rocky Fork at about six or seven oclock in the evening..

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    AHHHHHHHHH We left a little too early then!

5. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Yea, my pond is usually shad infested and I havent netted one all year. Need to get a little warmer before they start to hang in the shallows.

6. tacraft61

tacraft61 New Member

State:
    Powell, Ohio, U
    we've tried our best at deer creek netting for shad but had a real bad die off caught a few but nothing compared to what was floating dead:sad2:

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    soon as deer creek fills up,you can get all you want for the rest of the year in the creek above the lake.also,you can throw your cast net at the spillway after the 2nd handicap fishing ramp,i usually do good there.

8. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish paint and Rocky exclusively, with this being said I have a good idea where the shad are. In the afternoon hours on warmer bright days go to north shore. The area around the campgrounds and around the marina hold a lot of shad this time of year. Later in the year there are shad present at fishermans wharf on the opposite side of the lake (about 1 mile from my house.) I hope this helps and if you want to go fishing sometime let me know.:wink:

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    fishermans wharf,lol i went there when the baby shad had hatched for a while and were just big enough to not fall out of the net.like an idiot i threw it right into a school of those little suckers,i barely got my net back out it weighed so much.
    I usually get quite a few in front of the campgrounds there.

not too sure with paint,don't fish it much,though.