shad hoop net

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by coondog east fork, Jan 7, 2008.

1. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND
    has anyone tried a hoop net that u pull behind a boat to catch shad it mite be called a shad scoop and does it work thanks

2. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I think you are talking about shad trawls. I have never used them but have heard they don't work to well. Most people stick with cast nets. There are some posts on here that tell more on shad trawls.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sure they work. BUT your gonna find a lot more aggravation, high blood pressure, and tired muscles than you will with a cast net. There is no easy way to catch shad, unless the cast net is considered to be easy. To use the net you pull behind a boat, you need to locate a surface school of shad (usually not a problem in summer) put out the net about 20' behind the boat, then steer in an arc pulling the net through the school of shad. When you have a net full, you have to pull the net in before they all escape. Go too fast and the pressure of the shad will kill a lot of the shad, then the others will escape. You can only use them in open water, as they are like tree / rock magnets.

4. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have one. Aw Shucks is correct on the technique. I found the shad spook when the boat gets very close. Cast net is much easier and more dependable.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Seems like more of a hassle to me, I would just stick with the cast net, might save gas too...:smile2:

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Cast net and dipbasket for me. Dip basket works very well when the shad are running close to the wall at tva or cheatham dam, or at any dam.

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i have a trawel ill get rid of cheap lol