Shad Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by oldstylelight, Jul 15, 2006.

1. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    All week long in the evenings I have been trying to get out and get some shad for bait around the QC region of the mississippi.(when time allows) Not much luck. I tried throwing a cast net from different boat ramps in the day and at night. tried along the edge of a weed bed off the main channel, tried fishing for em with wax worms around a beaver lodge.... i only got 2 tuesday to show for my efforts. I kept them on ice all week and used them this morning on the miss. i got strikes on all baited rods. caught one about 5 #. I tried a live bluegill and got one little hit., but he didnt live too long.. 2 little shad dont last long when thats all you brought out for bait!

anyways, any help would be appreciated, why I'd even buy you a cold beverage on a hot day like today.

2. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Im not familiar with the area over there by the miss. But it seems like here in central iowa shad is very easy to come by. Below the dam of any river and below a spillway of any resevoir, like saylorville or red rock is usually very productive. They really seem to come out and swarm the surface more at night but still are very abundant any time of the day. I would focus on areas were the current has a break or on eddie of some sort....throw out your cast net and then immediately pull it in shortly after it hits the water. They are very spooky and scatter thats why I don't wait for the net to sink because a majority of them will scatter away from it plus you don't have to worry about snagging the bottom and loosing $20 on a net. Boat ramps are good too. I have went to the river many times with no bait and ended up getting everything I needed for the day and night within 10 feet of the boat ramp. Keep throwing the net and experimenting. If you see em out skipping around while on the water pull over and start throwing.

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What he said..below any spillway you should get all you need.

I, however, generally don't want to take the 15 minutes it takes to run to the spillway and get my bait so I'm usually farting around trying to find shad up in Coralville Lake. This years shad hatchlings are about 1.5 to 2 inches long and there are about 1 zillion of them per square foot. They make pretty good bait if you can keep them on the hook. I put about 5 or 6 of them on an 8/0 hook. You have to check your bait more often cuz they come off the hook pretty easy. Therefore, I prefer the bigger shad for cut bait.

Saturday morning early (4:30 am) I was able to get all I needed in the lake. Sunday morning, I was about an hour later getting to the lake and I spent an hour getting four big shad though I had all the little ones I could use. Later, I finally found the larger shad in numbers in deeper water using my graph. Though they were a little scattered, I could get 3-4 per cast. I about 3 weeks, all you'll need to do on Coralville is drive down the lake. They'll jump in your boat!

4. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Thanks Mike.. i think that i might need to go up to coralville just for my bait. sound a lot thicker up there than i have found around here... my wife is probably thinking that i am crazy about now.

i found a few, i mean a few little bitty shad saturday night.. fished for only about one hour sunday with what little bait i had 2 shad on a hook.. 2 cats and a big perch. However, one was my biggest channel ever. 28 and 1/2inch.. no camera of course and i didnt want to take it back to the dock cause i released it. was well worth it.. thanks for the encouragement and the replies guys. but still shad frustrated here.

5. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Getting bait can drive you plumb nervous some days. Look for leopard frogs. That's some of the best catfish bait you can get.

6. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Finally been gettin into it here recently, but slowly.. Got on the river this morning at about 730 after getting bait .. got about 12 shad in shallow backwater with mud bottom... Caught 2 fish on shad , one was 7.0 on the digital. fun stuff.. bite quit for us at about 11ish. had one pole of stink going and got our share of fiddlers. A couple other boats out there today that i know are excellent catters movin around quite a bit.. didnt feel to bad for what we done on the miss today.
    (burwell, still trying to talk my fishin buddy into trying some slow drifting/trolling with the shad setup you had told me about. where do i look for a drift sock.... is it that necessary?)

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Oldstyle, I was at a sandpit a few weeks ago. I bet it is thirty feet above the river but it flooded once and now there are shad in there and you can catch a few if you toss a net. I can't imagine the water being that high if it was that high in 93? They are harder to catch than spillway ones because they run away from the net but you can get a few. I don't think people look for them in ponds and such maybe you can look somewhere you haven't and find them.

When I find a good run, i freeze a bunch of the big ones they seem to make the best cutbait for me because they are a little firmer. It isn't as good as fresh but it keeps you from gettin frustrated when you can't catch any or don't have the time or aren't going where there is an easy place to catch any. I catch more fish when shad are hard to catch. When there are a million of them in every cast of the net, enjoy the brew.

8. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dave, A drift sock in current can be a tricky thing. If the wind is with the current, you go to fast. If the wind is against the current, the sock fills up with current and you either sit still, go downstream against the wind or move too slowly to drift effectively. Cross-current wind, however, might work but I'm not sure. And, besides all that, I'm not real sure who well it would work in the Miss.

Clayton, have you tried drifting/trolling in the Miss? In Coralville Res., I've had my best luck trolling upstream.

Mike.

9. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yes i have tried to drift and troll in the miss but i have a heck of a time, my trolling motor aint worth a crap. i have not been to the coralville res for two months now, hoping to get down there on the weekend of august 5.

clayton