Shad help!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Still_Waters..., Jul 19, 2009.

1. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's been a while since I've really been on here, been tearing up some channel cats on the GMR and dealing with some family stuff. I had to get on here though cause I need a little help from some of the brothers here on the BOC, anyone around the SW Ohio area (Dayton area, down to Middleton on the GMR) know were to net some shad, or if you don't want to give up the specifics just a few pointers, cause I've been able to get a few, but I'm coming up empty lately, and I'm down to my last two bags so I need a few. ANY advice would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

2. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    wish i could help!! i'm in toledo though. good luck man someone should help!!

3. Golden

Golden New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Lately shad have been hard to get the past 2 or 3 days. I think yesterday tbull went out and only caught like 12. Kitsinni said right about dusk when it starts to get dark is when he is having luck. I suggest catching alot then and throwing them on ice and freezing a few.

4. Catfishkid24

Catfishkid24 New Member

State:
    ohio
    well idk know a good place for u to get them but the next time u get them add some koolaid water to the freezer bag makes them red and what i think of as better bait and u are throw netting them right?

5. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Man I love it when these young kids throw out some good tips. That's a great tip little buddy! God bless the young ones who spend their time outdoors. They keep the future looking bright for America's sportsman. Now we just need to get this kid a Buckeyes hat! As for the shad; try looking in the "feeders". The best times are bright and early or right before the sun goes down. Spotting them in shallow water is not always easy but is the best way to get into them. Another quick tip is to purchase some of that loose chum. Throw a small hand full of that lightly near them and sometimes you can get them balled up. Throw your net on that ball. Good luck bud.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  6. Still_Waters...

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it, and yes I'm throwing for them.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Randy, call me, I have a whole freezer full of older ones that I was looking to get rid of so I can get some newer ones without freezer burn. They work fine, I just wanted some new ones .
    I have plenty for the taking!!! Could meet you Sat PM at Eastwood for our tourney.

As far as locally getting them, no luck anywhere when the river is low. I get ost of mine from the Ohio River when we go, I like river shad waaay more then lake shad which are always all algea'd up and gross to cut up vs the nice clean oily river shad.

Salmonid

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you want shad look in the mouths of the rivers. Like where the LMR or GMR dump in to the Ohio.

9. Still_Waters...

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I think I might have to take you up on that Mark, that way I'll at least have something in the freezer. From the sounds of things I guess I'll just have to find something else for live until the river comes back up, or get lucky and get the 2-3 med. sized ones I was getting a night, if I can find them again.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Randy, time of day might be key. If you have a spot where they hang out. Just before sun up, that half hour before and half hour after is magic where I get mine. I can throw once at daybreak and get so many in that one cast I can't hardly haul them up. Throw again around 9 or 10 am and get 1 to 5 per throw. Same for dusk.

11. Still_Waters...

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, I kinda noticed that myself, it seems like that's the only time I have any luck at all, but my luck might be changing with this rain coming in, might be able to get a few at a couple spots that weren't open to me before, the water has just been too low to even try them, but we'll see. Thanks for the tip.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I caught more Drum and Suckers than I did shad yesterday evening in the ole' cast net. Didn't mind it though, they loved the cut bait last night! :eek:oooh:

13. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's to bad you don't live near Zanesville.Dillon Lake here must have a billion in it.The entire lake looks like its raining on a clear day.