Shad help.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Fetmo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Fetmo

Fetmo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hail all,

is anyone catching any shad? or am i just looking in the wrong spots?

very new at this casting net, but i seem to be doing a decent job on the casting part. just not the catching bait part. i have been casting around rocks dikes, near shore lines. out in the deeper Chanel's near bridge supports. and can you only catch shad in rivers?? or can i try in like lake Conway?

please help
    Fetmo:0a23:

PS wow have i come close to falling out of the boat while casting LOL.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Larry... if Conway has shad in the lake and you can get close enough to em you can catch em with the net.

look for schools of em with your sonar both on the lakes and rivers to help you locate them so you can catch em.

3. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Yes, you can get all you want on Conway. I haven't been this spring, but have fished Conway for over 37 years. There are tons of shad there.
    I have netted hundreds in one throw plenty of times.
    You just need to locate them with a graph, but that is sometimes easier said than done as that lake is fairly shallow.
    I just look for them flipping around on the surface and get them that way.
    In the past few years, I have had the problem of getting 100's in one throw, but there will be several baby crappie mixed it. You sure don't want to keep those. There is a length limit on crappie there anyway, plus you can't take gamefish with a net. If this happens, you will either have to pick them out, or just move to another area.
    Good luck
    let us know if you hit pay dirt.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Larry, my favorite spot to get shad at Lake Conway is right below the dam, but only when the river is low enough that the concrete apron below the spillway is exposed. If you use a cast net, you'll need to be very careful not to get it hung up on the rocks. I prefer to use a shad dip net. One place where I have luck is where you park and walk down to the water below the dam. There's a little dropoff just a few feet out from the edge of the water, and the shad like to run along there. The other good spot is to walk out on the concrete apron; the gates leak water that runs across the apron, and where it drops off the apron into the pool, shad gather. But they're right up against the concrete, which makes it easy to get them with a dip net, but hard to get with a cast net.

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    never been up your way but this technique works where ever there is shad base. find you a boat launch somewhere or a dock even that has a bright floresent lite and cast your nets around the area. shad are atracted to brite lite. if this is not possilble set your own lites up, halogen works for me, shine off dock directly into water,wait about 30m cast your net. if you get into them, go ahead get what you can, stock your freezer for the days when you cant find any.

6. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We have the shad hole in Pine Bluff located between locks four and five.
    I was there today. Not many shad, but a few. I coundn't get in
    close enough to throw my net because I was trying to respect the bank fishermen.
    The hole usually has plenty of shad particularly when the sewage treatment facility is discharging into the river. I'm going to try and get there early tomarrow before all the bank guys show up. Hopefully it rains overnight, they tend to discharge water from the treatment ponds when it rains and the rain will also keep the number of bank fisherman to a minimuim.

7. Fetmo

Fetmo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Cool,

Thanks for all the info. i really appreciate it!!!

Fetmo:0a23: