Shad hatch

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by 1mickymoo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    OK, does anybody have any secrets on where the bigger shad are. Every since the shad hatch I can't find any larger shad, just little ones.

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Great question Larry! I will be watching this thread closely as I to can't seem to find any of size either. Gets pretty frustrating spending more time catching usable bait than catfish! Thanks for posting the question!:wink:

Oh yeah, I would send a thanks your way, but I have thanked too much already today. They took my thanks! LOL

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    try the deeper water with a strong current. Sometimes they will school up in the main channel this time of year.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    One thing that has helped me a lot is to use a bigger sized mesh cast net.
    Get a 5/8 to 1 inch mesh and the little shad will go thru it. Nothing worse than having a net full of small shad stuck in your net. It wll also sink faster and help you catch more bait.

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Not Here In KS Troy, They A Illegal Bigger The 3/8th inch.:crazy: As Far As If I Am Reading Right??

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Your probably right Shelby, I know every state has different regs. I use to think Mo. had a 1/2 regulation but from everything I have found it doesnt apply to cast nets.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't know where you are fishing but right now you can catch goldeye on Milford with a white slap. Cast it out and retrieve it like a jig in the coves at the lower end of the lake. The rolling hills coves are pretty good right now. You will catch wipers and white bass also, but I throw them back, they are not as good of bait :tounge_out:. You can use the little hatch shad but not much beats cut goldeye on Milford. I didn't feel like driving down to the south part of the lake Sunday so we netted small hatch shad at timber creek. We were catching good small eaters, 2 pounders or so. I caught a 12" goldeye on my little shad, so he got cut up immediately. Caught 4 channels and 2 blue all between 5 and 10 pounds each on the goldeye. I have no luck netting goldeye on Milford.

BTW Your cast net must have a max mesh size of 3/8" in Kansas.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The big shad I've caught lately have came from a concrete wall. the big ones like to feed off the algae on them. since the hatch it's been a pain in the a$$ to cast for them. Everytime you cast , you end up with a heavy net full of small frye for maybe one decent piece of bait. I can't believe how many shad there are in our lakes this year.

9. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    This about the size i like them down here in GA.
    They get alot bigger but they are just the right size for an 8/0 gamma circle.

The rock walls really produce here also when throwing the cast net.

Attached Files:

10. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the picture of your shad on the hook. Makes things a lot easier when seeing a picture VS trying to interpret how to hook a shad that someone wrote. A++

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Not all of your shad need to be huge anyway. The blue in my avatar was caught on a 3.5" - 4" shad; that isn't very big. Big bait isn't always the best policy.

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    3/8 mesh is as big as you need. I catch the bigger gizzard shad upriver in the pockets around blowdowns and weeds.