Shad Guts

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by FlatCatMan, Mar 25, 2008.

1. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anybody know where I can get any of these locally? (greater Peoria area). I have heard a lot about them, but haven't heard about where I can get them.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would think any of your local "mom and pop" type bait shops would have them, Better get the bank out :wink:

3. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are they really that much? And if they are, is it worth it?

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well I have never bought any myself, just use the whole shad, but I have seen the jars of that stuff going for $13 a jar at bait shops, I will not tell you either way on it's worth. If it catches ya fish then yes.

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    are there no shad to be caught in your area?

6. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    are there no shad to be caught in your area?

That's what I was wondering Big Muddy.

Get a cast net and get your own is the best way.

7. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I went to KY.lake the second weekend in feb and got 5 case's of gut's .$50.00 a case.12 pint's to a case.was damn glad to get them my buddy went down the follwing weekend and had a hard time getting 3 case's.....We use to dip our own at beardstown and gut them our selve's

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    they give 50 bucks a case for em? im in the wrong business!

9. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Around here the gas stations and bait shops run out of shad guts the same day they get a shipment in. 5 dollars for a little container a little smaller than the ones that a dozen worms come in. People sell 5 gallon buckets of shad guts for 3-4 hundred dollars. It takes 2 people a full day to gut enough shad to fill a 5 gallon bucket though. 1500 pounds of shad=5 gallon bucket of guts.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    YUP THAT AINT RIGHT-I just got rid of a bunch of frozen shad fer trade to a local and I aint telling what I got but we have a nice thing and we are both down right happy:wink:

11. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Big, our local worm and minnow shop's buy them from a retailer over at Pana ILL. after they buy them they are $70.00 a case .I'v been buying gut 's out of KY. since the mid 70's .When we first started going down there they were $22.00 a case..369 I'v got a couple buddies I fish with that live down that way.one at Okwaville and the other own's a welding shop over at Marissa.We fish alot at Fayetteville and up at Carlyle .We alway's stop at Ma Ma Lavish's bait shop..and once in a while over at Baldwin lake.

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well, thats a lot of money. i couldnt see myself goin out selling shad guts for a living though. i can see how a guy could make a pretty penny doin that. i just throw a cast net and get only what i need for the day. when i have trouble catching them in quantity, i tend to use the guts on one pole, the head, and cut pieces on others. when i catch a lot, i use the whole thing. but if some guys around my neck of the woods saw me catching shad and not fishing with them, they would tar and feather me. next time ur thinkin of headin down to KY to buy some shad, give me a pmail and ill head out and rustle you up some for free. save you some dough. not whole cases, just enough for a couple trips.

13. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    The gizzard and gut pack are from 12 to 16 inch shad in a jar. I dont have acess to shad of that size but a few times a yr. They are unbeatable in floodwater conditions.

14. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I am new to the site and find it very interesting. I have always gotten my shad below the dam on Rend Lake. Well, they have enacted a new law (last year) that prohibits one from taking baitfish within 1000 yards of the spillway. I have been stymied ever since. Does anyone have any luck getting shad by casting in open water from the boat? If so, do you use your fishfinder? I have never attempted it, but it looks like that will be my only choice.

15. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a spot to get shad at most of the time, but I never know what kind of size they are going to have to them. Also, I have never used a throw net, I have always used the tow behind net. Is a throw net easier or better to use?

16. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Well, I have never used a pull-behind net. I have been told that you usually get smaller shad with a pull-behind, but I don't for sure. The throw nets are grand if you find shad.

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes you can, I use the finder to locate the "balls" of bait and follow them a bit to see what they are doing then cast net them, some times you may have to add to the net line to get down a little deeper but it works. Also have a great spot for shad that normally run 3-5 inches and have "swapped" several bucket ts out to the bait shops :wink:

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i pmailed you a couple spots where i have success finding bait on rend.

19. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Thanks Shane. I can't pm you back until i get at least 10 posts. I'll prolly give it a try this weekend.

20. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would say it would be easier for ya to catch them